I need an answer FAST!!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by roocrazy, Jan 8, 2011.

1. roocrazy

roocrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2009
    minnesota!!!!
    how much difference does a fored air fan in in a still air LG make

PLEASE HELP!!!!

thank you so much!!!

2. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    Quote:I use 5 without and didn't find much difference in one with. I have an incubator how-to on my BYC page.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2011
  3. speedy2020

speedy2020 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2010
    I refer force air. It circulate the bator much better and reduce hot/cold spot.

4. mrsfarmchick1

mrsfarmchick1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2010
    Bandera, Texas
    I use 5 without and didn't find much difference in one with. I have an incubator how-to on my BYC page.

I have an LG with fan, but the temperature at top seems much higher than at bottom. So I'm worried that when I take out the turner on day 18 that the eggs will be too cold. Can someone explain if that makes a difference. I read your BYC page, but didn't quite understand about cardboard cartons. I have a couple of the cardboard egg cartons - what do I do with them? I hate to sound so stupid, but I want to understand what to do.​

5. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    Quote:I have an LG with fan, but the temperature at top seems much higher than at bottom. So I'm worried that when I take out the turner on day 18 that the eggs will be too cold. Can someone explain if that makes a difference. I read your BYC page, but didn't quite understand about cardboard cartons. I have a couple of the cardboard egg cartons - what do I do with them? I hate to sound so stupid, but I want to understand what to do.

Not stupid! I'll rewrite to clarify in my How-To. It DOES get colder if you take out the turner. When I have to use the incubator instead of another one set up as a hatcher, sometimes I'll just leave my eggs in the turner. I'll take them out and put a paper towel over the whole thing, then put them in on top of the paper towel, so they holes are covered. Eggs go in just the same as before. They can hatch out just like that, fat-side-up in the turner.

Another way is in egg cartons, instead. For air-flow, you cut the bottoms off of all of the little egg-cups in the cartons, and cut off the lid- there are some pics on the Mahonri New Year's Day Hatch thread...but I'm not sure what page.

You put the eggs in them, just like they were in the turners, fat-side-up. They will hatch out just fine in the cartons.

If you get a chance, read Mahonri's thread- you'll learn a lot!! Over a hundred people hatched together and shared all kinds of info (and crazy jokes!).

Cheers!

6. Farmergreen

Farmergreen Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2010
    I turn by hand. I just reach in and roll them around a few times a day but no less than 3. Hens roll the eggs as many as 60 times during a 24 hr period. Some say to scedule the turns but I just do it when I get close to the incubator.(about every 3-4 hours) never open it for very long at a time.
    When a tray starts to peck I move it to a preheated brooder and let them finish out.

Always get 50% and have gotten as high as 80%. That low average is during the winter time. Due to fertilization. I know this because I check what doesn't hatch. Yuk!
    Forced air is better in my opinion. Evens out the temp over the whole box. Humidity is the biggest factor in hatching. I place a large plastic bowl of water in front of the fan and keep it full 24/7. Don't know what my humidity is but when I open the Bator my glasses fog over.

My incubator will hold as many as 300 eggs and I've had it full more than once. Hatch at least 100 chicks at a time. If I have just a few I use dividers to seperate them into groups in the trays. I set a lot of OEGBs also. I've had 200 layer eggs, a dozen or so duck and or Guineas. along with a dozen or so OEGBs at the same time.

But everyone has a way to do it. My way works for me. Other's ways work for them.
    Oh if you do have an automatic turner the egg cartons work great. My first Bator turned the whole rack. I put the eggs in fat side up and when the piping started I put them in the brooder loose and let'em hatch. If you don't have a turner just slide the egg carton out enough so you can rock it back and forth. Do this back and forth 4 or 5 times and slide it back in.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2011
  7. mrsfarmchick1

Dec 24, 2010
    Bandera, Texas
    I use 5 without and didn't find much difference in one with. I have an incubator how-to on my BYC page.

I have an LG with fan, but the temperature at top seems much higher than at bottom. So I'm worried that when I take out the turner on day 18 that the eggs will be too cold. Can someone explain if that makes a difference. I read your BYC page, but didn't quite understand about cardboard cartons. I have a couple of the cardboard egg cartons - what do I do with them? I hate to sound so stupid, but I want to understand what to do.

Not stupid! I'll rewrite to clarify in my How-To. It DOES get colder if you take out the turner. When I have to use the incubator instead of another one set up as a hatcher, sometimes I'll just leave my eggs in the turner. I'll take them out and put a paper towel over the whole thing, then put them in on top of the paper towel, so they holes are covered. Eggs go in just the same as before. They can hatch out just like that, fat-side-up in the turner.

Another way is in egg cartons, instead. For air-flow, you cut the bottoms off of all of the little egg-cups in the cartons, and cut off the lid- there are some pics on the Mahonri New Year's Day Hatch thread...but I'm not sure what page.

You put the eggs in them, just like they were in the turners, fat-side-up. They will hatch out just fine in the cartons.

If you get a chance, read Mahonri's thread- you'll learn a lot!! Over a hundred people hatched together and shared all kinds of info (and crazy jokes!)

Thanks - I'll check that out!​

8. Farmergreen

Farmergreen Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2010
    If your turner turns the whole shelf you will really like the egg carton deal. It is so convenent. With the eggs fat side up you will be able to see the pip easily without having to roll eggs around looking. I guess you already know they always pip on the fatside.
    you can go to your favorite Breakfast Cafe and get the 30 ct trays they get. As long as the paper ones (all I use) stay together you can spray lightly with bleach after each use. Make sure they dry good before you use them again.

In case you don't know always wash your hands with hot water and dry good before handling eggs. If you have to use soap rinse, rinse and rinse. Never mark eggs with anything other than a graphite lead pencil.

Where can I find this article Mrs farm chick??

Forced air is the only way to go. [​IMG]

9. mrsfarmchick1

Dec 24, 2010
    Bandera, Texas
    Look at the reply to the original post -there is a link to Chookschick BYC page (at the bottom of the message)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by