I need an education Mallard facts of life...

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Annie75, Jul 30, 2011.

1. Annie75

Annie75 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2011
    [​IMG] I recently found out through the friendly backyard chickens folk that my duck is a Snowy Mallard...and female. Since then she has started laying and has clocked up 7 cute little eggs.

I advertised for a boyfriend for her and will take delivery of a normal Mallard drake in the coming week (internet dating is great!)

I have a few questions. Google told me that Mallards 'date' during late winter, and nest spring/early summer.

1. being the last month of winter here in Australia, is it too late for my ducks to bond for the coming breeding season?
    2. if they only breed once a year, will her eggs be fertile the rest of the time (could I put them in an incubator or under my silkie)?
    3. is one girlfriend enough for a mallard drake or will he molest my 2 chickens? (I had a Pekin drake who fell in love with Henny Penny my ISA Brown and nearly killed her with his violent attentions. He's now a stud duck on a duck farm).
    4. Daisy seems to lay her eggs wherever she happens to be when she gets the urge...will she make a proper nest when she meets her boyfriend?

Thanks for your help everyone!

2. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    There is plenty of time. It may take a little while before the eggs she is laying are fertile once the new drake starts to do what he is supposed to, but no reason why they wont produce offspring this year. She may well make a nest once she has laid a few more eggs and gets broody rather than just laying them anywhere. First time layers arent always the best at laying in a box or nest to start off with.

Oh...and here in OZ we refer to the colour as being silver rather than snowy... either way just as pretty. I fell in love with one at a recent waterfowl show, and almost found my self ordering some from the breeder come spring.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by