I need an intervention......

lockedhearts

It's All About Chicken Math
12 Years
Apr 29, 2007
Georgia
Gonna set more eggs in the bator this week, this mean chicks in the house for awhile yet!!!! We did finally build an outdoor brooder and once we finish the grow out pen this weekend, I can move my 3 month olds out of the outdoor brooder and move the 2 month olds and the Turkeys into the brooder.
That will just leave a few in the house, well until these other eggs hatch......

Oh well!!!!! Just gotta keep cleaning the chicken dust!!!

Ok gotta ask and this is for all you addictive hatchers out there, what do you do with all the chickens??? I only have one acre of land and my wife is not to kean on sharing with a bunch of chickens running around.
gig.gif
I have visions of oh say 15 to 20 hens, then when they start laying less time to incubate a new hatch every few years. Or is that what you all thought and then the addiction set in.
lau.gif

Last edited:
Buy more land.....

It's all about Chicken Math...... (3 Bantams = 1 Large Fowl, thus you can have more)

Seriously we have 6 acres and I sell some chicks, and older birds. I am working towards getting a few select breeds for selling hatching eggs , I will have a seperate pen for layers only, and actually have a few "Egg Customers" already.

Quote:
We sell them, just off the top of my head I would say somewhere in the 7 to 8 hundred range for chickens (mostly week old chicks), I know over 6 hundred turkeys (once again mostly poults), about 2 hundred ducks and geese, about 20 peafowl. Guineas I have no idea lol Plus hatching eggs and eating eggs. This year vs feed cost we are in the black.

Steve in NC

Quote:
We sell them, just off the top of my head I would say somewhere in the 7 to 8 hundred range for chickens (mostly week old chicks), I know over 6 hundred turkeys (once again mostly poults), about 2 hundred ducks and geese, about 20 peafowl. Guineas I have no idea lol Plus hatching eggs and eating eggs. This year vs feed cost we are in the black.

Steve in NC

Hmm well I plan on selling eggs, never thought of selling chicks. My wife is from a huge family and allready have orders for a 10 to 12 dozen eggs a month at a buck a dozen( I don't care if I break even its more for the peace of mind of knowing what the birds ate etc). Does anyone know of places that will cull the birds for a price for meat etc??

Quote:
Well, I'm trying my first hatch, so I don't know that I'll get any chickens. I do, however, know what to do with the ones I can't keep. There are lots of families out there who are struggling in this economy. There always are, but that problem is on the rise. If I have any extra birds, I intend to gift a couple of these families with a few babies and enough feed to carry them at least until the girls start laying. I only give a little to charities. Those funds don't always make it to the people in need. This way, I can make sure the entire gift gets to the intended recipient.

Quote:

Steve in NC

Hmm well I plan on selling eggs, never thought of selling chicks. My wife is from a huge family and allready have orders for a 10 to 12 dozen eggs a month at a buck a dozen( I don't care if I break even its more for the peace of mind of knowing what the birds ate etc). Does anyone know of places that will cull the birds for a price for meat etc??

It's not that hard to process them yourself, once you do and taste it you'll never buy store bought again

Steve in NC

Quote:
And you came here?? Boy, Karen, are you in the wrong place!
gig.gif

I have a goal, year round hatching, that means I must keep going to reach my goal.
lau.gif
lau.gif
lau.gif

Back
Top Bottom