i need an island!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by 688peterl, Dec 10, 2009.

1. 688peterl

688peterl Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2009
    i have a 6' pool in the garden for the ducks (its 6' wide not deep) its quite deep though deep they cant touch the bottom. I was gonna make a ramp so they could get in and out of the pool as they wanted but i think its a bad idea now because i dont really want them wondering around the garden its far too dangerous for them to be left alone nearly everybody on my street has a cat and since the ducks arrived they are never far away from my garden i just dont wanna risk it, so... instead of letting them wonder around the garden i thought i would make an island for the pool that they can chill on when they arent swimming if i made it big enough i could put their food/bowls on the island too and when its nice they can stay out of the run all day! anybody else think thats a good idea?

2. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
  3. 688peterl

Oct 2, 2009
  4. An island in a 6' pool would not be protected from a motivated cat. A cat could jump that distance easily. Your pen is protects them from cats, correct? Maybe for now you could let them swim in a smaller basin. I think when they get to be full grown the cats won't go after them, unless there are some monster cats in your neighborhood.

5. 688peterl

Oct 2, 2009
    should i buy some of those they look like they would work to me but i dont like buying anything for the ducks until i have asked on here lol

6. classroomducks

classroomducks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2009
    Fort Worth, Tx
    That reptile island is too small... they would probably sink it.

7. 688peterl

Oct 2, 2009
    i think they do them bigger than that i was gonna get two anyway so they had one each

8. 688peterl

Oct 2, 2009
    nah your right its too small [​IMG] what am i gonna use?

9. goosedragon

goosedragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Central NC
    Quote:Well it is plain that you aren't "handy" could you manage to attach 2 2L soda bottles to a platform of some type? Come to think of it do you even have 2 L plastic soda bottles? I picked 2 L because that would give plenty of floatation for two ducks and you could adjust how high out of the water it would ride by placing or removing water from the bottles. Placing plastic bags with air sealed in would also float a platform. There must be something you could find that floats. I agree though you can't trust that small pool to protect ducks from cats.

10. 688peterl

Oct 2, 2009
    Quote:Well it is plain that you aren't "handy" could you manage to attach 2 2L soda bottles to a platform of some type? Come to think of it do you even have 2 L plastic soda bottles? I picked 2 L because that would give plenty of floatation for two ducks and you could adjust how high out of the water it would ride by placing or removing water from the bottles. Placing plastic bags with air sealed in would also float a platform. There must be something you could find that floats. I agree though you can't trust that small pool to protect ducks from cats.

yes i think i could manage that no need to be sarcastic [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by