I need broody ducks!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by SwedishDude99, Oct 6, 2013.

1. SwedishDude99

SwedishDude99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2013
    El Dorado County, Ca
    Hi everyone! So I have a question for you all. I am wanting to breed ducks and have a broody hatch and raise them. However, none of our females are broody! So that means that I need to buy one or get one somewhere. Where would the best place to look for them be? I would use an incubator but I started looking at it and it seems fairly complicated and needs a lot of attention and I am not able to provide as much as it needs. I would also be afraid of messing up and having none of the eggs make it. So, again, would It be fairly easy to find a broody for sale? And if so, where should I go or look to get one? Thanks! :D

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
  3. SwedishDude99

Aug 20, 2013
    El Dorado County, Ca
    Ok. Thankyou!

4. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    There is also a thread called

Thread Formerly Known as Hatch Day Is Today

Lots of chat about hatching on that one!

5. learycow

learycow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Southern Maine
    Depending on your set up and space, I would recommend some "natural incubators" if you can.
    Muscovy ducks are EXCELLENT for this. You don't even need a male. Just let them lay some eggs and start a nest, then switch out their eggs for the ones you want to hatch. And they will do the rest, even raise them for you if you want them too! And Silkie chickens are known as excellent incubators as well

Just a thought [​IMG] But they tend to be seasonal depending on where you live. Mine lay and go broody April through Sept/Oct

6. SwedishDude99

Aug 20, 2013
    El Dorado County, Ca
    Ok thankyou! So Muscovites will be good for that? I have the option of getting some silkies too though. I will have to decide which I want more.

7. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Muscovy females have a reputation for being very good broodies.

8. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    I agree Muscovy and silkies are well known for it. I have a broody scovie right now. [​IMG] I had one in Feb of this year, who hatched out a clutch in Mar of this year.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by