I need button quail help please.

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Impress, Jan 8, 2014.

1. Impress

Impress Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Gray, TN
    I hatched 14 button quail eggs, assorted colors, on November 16. I have consistently moved them to bigger and bigger cages as they grew, and it have finally hit the point where I need to get them into pairs.

And here is where I am having issues. I have been reading and reading since day one how to sex them. Red breast and vent feathers, wider hips, girls are bigger, only boys crow, etcetera. Bibs! Oh all the conflicting information about bibs! Only males have bibs, then the next site says females can have bibs as well.

I found a great sticky here on BYC, but it is missing the one crucial thing I really needed. The call only a male will make. I get an error on the link.

I have no idea what I am doing. They are starting to bicker, and I think I possibly saw mating a couple of times. But it could have been fighting. I don't know! :(

Can someone experienced with these little boogers help me? These are my first, I have been a chicken/duck/goose/guinea girl up to this point. I can post pictures of each one if that might help. I really need help from someone who knows buttons.

2. GrandmaBird

GrandmaBird Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2012
    Colorado
    Well it is much easier if you post photos but be sure to get the vent area and the chin. If you have plain white birds they will need to be vent sexed. How do you have them housed now?
    Here is a link to Jodi McDonalds site she is the button queen and has a nice book about them. Be warned that she is a strict believer in pair housing and keeping only, no groups for her and if you get her book you will learn why. I love the book and her way of keeping these great little guys.

http://brackenridgeranch.com/

you can find button quail calls on youtube. It can be hard to tell that way too. If the coloring wont tell us then we have several other ways to figure it out. lets start with photos and we will go from there!

Be sure you are giving them lots of high protein feed and oyster shell for added calcium. and they will need 12-14 hours of daylight to lay consistently. I let my female take the winter off. I do not use any form of artificial light and she quits laying in the winter and starts again in the spring, which is what she should be doing.
    good luck!

3. Impress

Impress Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Gray, TN
    Oh thank The Lord a response. I want them down to pairs only, I just can't figure out how to pair them as I don't know which of them are pairs!

I will try to get pictures up in here and maybe that will help. I only have two white ones, and one I am about positive is a boy because he growls and crows if he is left alone.

I have dug on youtube for weeks trying to find male and female specific calls, and I haven't had any luck at all.

Right now they are all in a very large wire cage with a deep bottom. I don't want to leave them all together, I have just hit that wall where they are about old enough to pair off, but I don't know who to put with who.

Let me go do a photo shoot and I will post pictures and hopefully you guys can help me out. Thank you so much, I have found so much conflicting information and I am so lost and desperate for help.

4. dc3085

dc3085 Chillin' With My Peeps

The males crow sounds like wind blowing or a frog croaking, they will not raise their head and stand up tall as they do when calling out. Usually they will be in sort of a sitting posture and you will see a "wave" go through their chest from the bottom to the top as they make the noise. You will rarely see it unless they don't have a female present. My paired up roos almost never crow, so I doubt you'll see any crows with them all in a group but maybe you'll get lucky. Once you identify one for sure male and for sure female use those vents to compare to the others. I've tried multiple times to record a button roo crow but its such a small sound I haven't had any luck. Both males and females make that woo woo woo like sound you are probably hearing the most of, where they kind of stick their head up and holler. Good luck and like grandma bird suggest put up some pictures and maybe we can speed up the sexing for you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by