I need chick info

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Winter1, Mar 3, 2016.

1. Winter1

Winter1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2015
    Virgina, USA
    So I will be getting some chicks soon (1 of each: speckled Sussex, blue and partridge Cochins, andalusion, and black star), they are vaccinated for coccidiosis and mareks. They where hatched February 16th. And I have a couple questions
    So my step dad isn't a huge animal lover so we can't have them in the house or the screened in porch. I have a 3ft by 6ft coop and I was wondering if I could fence off a part of it and put a heat lamp in there so they can stay warm, because I already have other chickens(1 ameracuana/ Easter egger mix rooster, 1 bantam Wyandotte hen, 2 silkies one hen one rooster, and a frizzled polish hen).
    What age can I let my chicks loose with my other chickens?
    Should I give my chicks medicated feed even if they're vaccinated?
    Any other suggestions would also be helpful! Thanks! :weee

2. azygous

azygous True BYC Addict

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    This article I wrote addresses every single one of your concerns. (linked below in my sig line)

Believe it or not, your step dad is doing you and your new chicks a huge favor by banning them from the house. I list many reasons why chicks benefit more from being raised outside in a coop or run than indoors in a box. That's what I call brooders. They're really like putting human toddlers in jail.

You will probably want to enlist your stepdad's help, since this is his stellar idea, to rig a safe pen for the chicks in the run, if your run can be weather-proofed, or the coop. Also look into this advanced system of heating chicks: "Mama Heating Pad for the Brooder" thread located on this forum. It's usually right on the first page, rarely the second.

3. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    One quick side note about blue fowl, in case you get a chick of an unexpected color. Blue does not breed true. In a blue x blue breeding you can get blue, black or splash offspring. So your Cochin and Andalusian may be one of those 3 colors.

4. Winter1

Nov 29, 2015
    Virgina, USA
    Oh that's cool! I didn't know that. These chicks are going to be more of pets so it doesn't matter to me though

5. Winter1

Nov 29, 2015
    Virgina, USA
    Ok so I will get a wire dog crate, put some hardware cloth stuff around it and use the heating pad brooder. Scence I can't weatherproof the run I will just keep it in the coop and on warm days, put them in a little playpen thing in the run. I'm so excited! :D

6. Winter1

Nov 29, 2015
    Virgina, USA
    About what sized crate would I need? I will be getting 5 chicks.

7. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Flock Master

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    You're saying that you have a 3 x 6 coop that has 2 roos and 3 hens in it? And are now getting 5 more chicks to go in this 3 x 6 coop? Or am I missing something here? If this is the case, your coop is already overcrowded. Having 2 roosters will make the crowding even more noticeable. For 10 birds, I recommend that you have a coop that is at least 40 square feet (about 4 x 10, or 5 x 8) I wish you the best, and hope that you can get some help expanding your coop.

8. Winter1

Nov 29, 2015
    Virgina, USA
    Oh poo. Yup that's right. Would getting rid of one of my roosters help? 3 of my chickens are bantam. The run is 10 by 30. And could I just get 2-3 chicks? Btw all the chicks are pullets.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2016
  9. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Flock Master

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    That would still put 7 birds in 18 s.f. Not something I'd want to try. Especially with the integration.

10. Winter1

Nov 29, 2015
    Virgina, USA
    So I have an idea, since we don't have the money to get a new coop and I certainly can't build an entire coop, could I transform part of my garage into a coop? Like put a door in the back of it and attach the run to it? My mom probably won't approve but maybe I could save up a bunch of money.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by