I need coats for some of my hens

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by scooter147, Dec 4, 2008.

1. scooter147

scooter147 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    Missouri
    It has been cold here off and on, last night down to 17 degrees.
    About half of my flock decided to molt at the end of November, I don't know what the delay was this year, no artificial light used.
    I have several of the molting hens that are literally missing half of their feathers I could tell this morning they were freezing.
    I hope there new feathers grow in quickly I don't know what I can do for them.
    I am feeding dry cat food twice a day to give them extra protein to help in a quicker development of new feathers.

2. chickensducks&agoose

chickensducks&agoose Chillin' With My Peeps

our projected low on monday is 9 degrees. brrrr.... maybe i can get some earmuffs for the flock. or at least get DH to check all the caulking on the coop....

3. Splash_Guard

Splash_Guard Set Free

Dec 3, 2008
    Michigan
    Chickie Ear Muffs...that's funny! They do sell those saddle type coats, but it's to keep the hens from being excessively pecked by the Roo. I wonder if a new line of "Chic Chickie Clothing" would sell well.....[​IMG]

4. Chicken Woman

Chicken Woman Incredible Egg

Oct 16, 2008
    Montana
    It was -9 last night and snowing. My girls seemed ok this AM but didn't want to walk on the snow so they are staying in the coop

5. Catalina

Catalina Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2007
    Minnesota
    I know what you mean. I have a Sebright that really needs a sweater. She hates to go outside, but she doesn't want to stay inside by herself, when the big girls go outside. I tried to get my Grandma to knit a sweater for her- I thought a tea cozy pattern would work [​IMG] , but my Grandma wasn't too interested. She thought I was kidding. I might have to learn how to knit.

6. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Why oh why do chickens have to molt in the fall and winter??? I have one that is shedding feathers all over - I do have a question - do roo's molt? May sound dumb, but it ceratinly appears mine is.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by