I need confirmation is this a Roo approx 13 weeks. I have noticed its tail looking curvy. EDIT picture is back of its sibling who i think is hen

sophiejeppesen26

Hatching
Feb 7, 2023
I need confirmation is this a Roo approx 13 weeks. Light sussex cross isa brown.
I have noticed its tail looking curvy and am worried it's a roo. can any one help confirm gender please

Attachments

• 20230206_163931.jpg
    20230206_163931.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 32
  • 20230206_164001.jpg
    20230206_164001.jpg
    828.3 KB · Views: 4
  • 20230206_163855.jpg
    20230206_163855.jpg
    290.5 KB · Views: 4
  • 20230206_163847.jpg
    20230206_163847.jpg
    351.8 KB · Views: 3
  • 20230206_163902.jpg
    20230206_163902.jpg
    293.5 KB · Views: 3
  • 20230206_163836.jpg
    20230206_163836.jpg
    284.4 KB · Views: 3
  • 20230206_163804.jpg
    20230206_163804.jpg
    595.6 KB · Views: 3
  • 20230206_163754.jpg
    20230206_163754.jpg
    357.3 KB · Views: 3
  • 20230206_163928.jpg
    20230206_163928.jpg
    809.6 KB · Views: 5
I need confirmation is this a Roo approx 13 weeks. Light sussex cross isa brown.
Can you show pictures of the parents?

Your bird appears to have white barring (visible in the black parts of the tail feathers, as well as a few other places.)

Because the barring gene is on the Z sex chromosome, some crosses can be sexed by whether the chicks have barring or not. I don't yet know whether that is possible with your chick, because I don't know which parent has the barring (it's not supposed to be in Light Sussex or in ISA Browns, so there's a bit of a mystery here.)

Your bird appears to have white barring (visible in the black parts of the tail feathers, as well as a few other places.)

Because the barring gene is on the Z sex chromosome, some crosses can be sexed by whether the chicks have barring or not. I don't yet know whether that is possible with your chick, because I don't know which parent has the barring (it's not supposed to be in Light Sussex or in ISA Browns, so there's a bit of a mystery here.)
Thanks for this I don't have pictures of the parents. But I know the father was supposed to be light sussex and mum Isa brown according to the people I got them off. However, the sibling of this one has feathers growing on it's legs making me think it may actually be a light Brahma cross isa brown. But I am not sure if Brahmas have the barring that you speak of.
It's sibling is similar age who I have is a bit bigger and doesn't have this type of tail, more the Traditional hen type tail and just looks more hen, like a smaller version of my older hens. Which also makes me think this little one pictured Is a roo sadly. It has a very confident fearless and friendly personality. It will just walk right up to me and loves being picked up and held. It also is very curious and loves coming up on high things like outdoor chairs or in small shrubs ect.if that helps too with personality traits. The sibling however is more shy and hates to be picked up and will run away if you try. But is fine once you get her. I can try get a better pic of the sibling tomorrow if that helps for comparison.

Thanks for this I don't have pictures of the parents. But I know the father was supposed to be light sussex and mum Isa brown according to the people I got them off. However, the sibling of this one has feathers growing on it's legs making me think it may actually be a light Brahma cross isa brown. But I am not sure if Brahmas have the barring that you speak of.
It's sibling is similar age who I have is a bit bigger and doesn't have this type of tail, more the Traditional hen type tail and just looks more hen, like a smaller version of my older hens. Which also makes me think this little one pictured Is a roo sadly. It has a very confident fearless and friendly personality. It will just walk right up to me and loves being picked up and held. It also is very curious and loves coming up on high things like outdoor chairs or in small shrubs ect.if that helps too with personality traits. The sibling however is more shy and hates to be picked up and will run away if you try. But is fine once you get her. I can try get a better pic of the sibling tomorrow if that helps for comparison.
hello @sophiejeppesen26 , welcome to BYC :frow

If this bird was a boy, I'd expect it to have significantly bigger and redder comb and wattles than this, and from about week 3; that doesn't always hold (some disguise their gender well, especially if there's a mature roo around), but it works for most in my experience. So I too incline pullet, though you won't know for sure till it lays an egg or crows :lol:

ISA brown roosters can sometimes have barring, and Delawares (which are barred) can sometimes be mistaken for light sussexes.

I need confirmation is this a Roo approx 13 weeks. Light sussex cross isa

Sorry just checked my pics. The second picture down of the posted pics is a back shot of its sibling which I think is definitely hen.

Not a Brahma cross since it has no pea comb and no feathered legs both are dominant genes (not to mention a Brahma should have two copies of both so all offspring will have pea combs and feathered legs). If the siblings have feathered legs or pea combs then they should have at least one different parent than this one pictured. As far as the tail goes different breed hens have different tail shapes with some being more arced/curled and not the straight fan tail. Personality wise, aggression would be more of an indicator of a cockerel than independence or friendliness. I have hens that follow me around, are very curious, independent and let me pick them up. I have other hens who prefer to be left alone. Based off of your description I think your others most likely have a different parent which wouldn't make them comparable to this one. Not to mention even if they did have the same parents when you get mixes one offspring could inherent a certain set of traits while another could inherit a different set of traits making them appear vastly different.

Back
Top Bottom