I need coop/run suggestions (see pics)

ShannyG

In the Brooder
Sep 29, 2020
East Tn
I used 2 10x10 chain link dog kennels attached to the side of my equipment shed for my coop/run. Only one is currently being used but I plan to put an opening in the middle really soon so my chicks can go between the 2. It is starting to get colder here in Tn, so I am worried about what to do to keep them warm and now dry. The main coop has a roof the second one has chain link on top so it will get all the weather. I built a ladder style roost , my nest boxes are inside the large wooden box. I gather eggs from the inside of the shed. Do I need to enclose the entire 10x10 coop leaving the bottom alone for air circulation? Should I leave the sides open and put something only around the roosting ladder. Any suggestion on these questions or anthing else you may see in the pics will be so appreciated. B46CB199-940C-442D-9F61-3C9F59CE85AA.jpeg 16E272B9-4F82-4A9E-87E8-C439990409CF.jpeg 753BF082-38EB-4F7C-93E7-51C3331F3F31.jpeg 389F0D33-C5F2-493C-B0FD-79E5E18FC444.jpeg

Sally PB

Songster
Premium Feather Member
Aug 7, 2020
Belding, MI
Chain link fence is nice and strong, but the openings are plenty big to let predators and food thieves in. I've also read of raccoons reaching through the fence and grabbing chickens. The chain link is a great foundation, but think about adding hardware cloth for more security.

As others will say, you need to keep chickens DRY. They can keep themselves warm. Ventilation is the key to keeping the coop and bedding dry, and letting ammonia fumes from poop out.

It sure looks sturdy. Others will probably have some more detailed ideas, but I think you have a great foundation to build on. Good luck!

Smiller1090

Chirping
Sep 27, 2020
Fountain County Indiana
Chain link fence is nice and strong, but the openings are plenty big to let predators and food thieves in. I've also read of raccoons reaching through the fence and grabbing chickens. The chain link is a great foundation, but think about adding hardware cloth for more security.

As others will say, you need to keep chickens DRY. They can keep themselves warm. Ventilation is the key to keeping the coop and bedding dry, and letting ammonia fumes from poop out.

It sure looks sturdy. Others will probably have some more detailed ideas, but I think you have a great foundation to build on. Good luck!
I have a chain link run and used 1/2” 3’ tall hardware cloth all around the bottom for predators. I also burried the chain link panels a foot in the ground when I built it to keep digging predators and pests out. I have 4’ foot fencing on two sides and raised garden beds on the other two sides as my run is in my garden. So far it has worked great against stray cats, stray dogs and wild predators including raccoon, Fox and skunk which have all tried to get in. I keep a camera on my run as well for the disobedient neighborhood kids and keep the run door locked with a motorcycle wheel lock. I will be changing the mesh tarp roof to a metal roof before snow flies.

Attachments

Top Bottom