I need critiques on this boy!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Elite Silkies, Sep 21, 2011.

1. Elite Silkies

Elite Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    Color: Blue

I do not get my feelings hurt and I want this boy critiqued hard. Be honest, up front, and point all noticeable flaws. He has a slight buff leakage. He will be placed in my BBS if I decide to breed him. Now, I'm not to whoopy with my new camera yet and the colors are quite different in each photo. The first and second photos are the closest to his "TRUE" color.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 21, 2011
  2. stephanie1992

stephanie1992 Chillin' With My Peeps

to me everything on him except the buff leackage is great. i do know for show there suppose to be real fluffly and the feathers are suppose to reach the middle toe as urs does. id use him fo breeding if ur nt making show birds. And just making pets. but thats my opinion. i dnt know much about silkies.. anyone else have ideas??

Last edited: Sep 22, 2011
  3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    He does have more brown leakage than I thought. I don't know how hard that is to breed out.

4. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Quote:The "buff leakage" is just sunbleaching. It happens fast and early with any blue males of whatever breed.

5. Elite Silkies

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    Illia, I sure hope that is all it is. I didn't really notice it, until a few weeks ago. But, I have so many to keep up with, I noticed everything. So, not exactly sure how long he has had it.

6. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    It is isn't a separate color, such as red or gold, glistening there, and if it is on more than just the wing shoulders, saddle, and hackles - I wouldn't worry about it.

If it is just a dusty brownish color and smeared all over the birds' top half, I wouldn't worry about it.

7. Elite Silkies

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    Quote:Yes, it's a dusty brown color on his top half [​IMG] You described that well. Thank you. So, what about his type?

8. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    I'd say wait for someone else to answer that. I'm no Silkie person. . . He looks better than most I've seen though.

9. Elite Silkies

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    He is still quite young, so he should fill in more over the next month or so. Thank you Illia for help [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by