I need duck help

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Sherry, May 5, 2007.

1. Sherry

Sherry Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2007
    Southern WV
    It seems I will be getting a full grown duck on Monday. To make a long story short I have a pond he can live on. What do I feed him? Can I throw out chicken scratch? Or get just plain old cracked corn? Does he need a friend? For the last few years his best friend has been a goat. I had to draw the line and not take the goat.[​IMG]
    Any advice greatly appreciated.

2. Critter Crazy

Critter Crazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2007
    Binghamton, NY
    In genral ducks dont do very well on their own. If you have chickens, he will become attached to them, I know my female duck, is very attached to my chickens. she has been on her own only for a few weeks, but already thinks she is a chicken. Ducks can eat chicken feed, or you can get gamebird, or waterfowl feed. Just like chickens he will need to be housed at night, and best for the first week or so, to be locked inside, so he can get aquainted to his new home. If there is anything else you need to know, dont be afraid to ask.

3. Sherry

Apr 8, 2007
    Southern WV
    Thank you. Yes, I have chickens and I am getting 4 more from the lady with the duck. The duck is really used to the rooster.
    Do you think if I leave the barn door open he'll go in there to sleep at night with the chickens?
    I have also decided if she wants me to I'll take the goat.[​IMG]
    Then maybe everybody will be happy.

4. fowlweatherfriends

fowlweatherfriends Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2007
    The Sunny South
    Yes, I agree, ducks are "flock" animals and prefer to be in a group (safety in numbers [​IMG]). And yes, the chicken feed will work great, and they love table scraps as well. They also will stel some crunchy cat food from the kitties (which is better than bread0. Bread is not a good idea-hard on the digestive system. And lastly-safe enclosed protection at night (or if you have roaming dogs in the day), is probably your number one most important item to keep duck safe.

Best wishes [​IMG]

5. Sherry

Apr 8, 2007
    Southern WV
    Thank you guys. I have also decided to "undraw" the line, I may be getting the goat too.[​IMG]

6. fowlweatherfriends

fowlweatherfriends Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2007
    The Sunny South
    Hi again,
    Great on getting more ducks! I had a goat for awhile and they are "herd" animals and usually like to be with more than one goat (mine continually cried for company). Did she only have the one goat? If so, the goat may have bonded with the duck and they would be really glad to be together [​IMG].

Yes, the duck will most likely go in at night, but you will want to consider closing the doors against predators.

7. Sherry

Apr 8, 2007
    Southern WV
    Yes, the goat and duck are bonded. I figured I'd put both duck and goat in barn with chickens at night. Chickens, by the way, are confined in their own coop.
    I figure I can tether the goat outside during the day, near the pond and duck.
    You all are great. Thanks so much!!

8. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Sherry......I dont want to be the bearer of bad news...but here goes. IF the duck you are getting is a male.....and has no female...he WILL try to mount your hens, and it WILL kill them. I am going to pick up 2 male ducks, from a lady, that has had 6 of her hens killed BY THE MALE DUCKS!! My ducks free roam, there are a mixture of males and females. So, when the chickens are out, not a problem. These 2 drakes I am getting are a mallard, and a peking. Both have killed hens, trying to mate them. Be carefull. Just wanted to let you know.

9. Sherry

Apr 8, 2007
    Southern WV
    Deb,
    Thanks. The chickens will be totally enclosed in their own pen which is in the barn. The duck will just be in the barn but able to see the chickens. (does that make sense?)
    Plus, where he was raised with the goat, he really doesn't have a swimmin' hole. I have a good pond all for him.
    I figured I'd see how it all works out and then get a couple more for him.
    Here's a dumb question...will the ducks have to be the same kind as he is? (I am assuming he is male). I don't even know what kind he is.

10. Critter Crazy

Critter Crazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2007
    Binghamton, NY
    Quote:I have had different breeds, and they all got along just fine. but if you get more, i would just get females.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by