I need Easter Egger info on EGG LAYING

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by chickenluver555, Jul 24, 2013.

1. chickenluver555

chickenluver555 Songster

Apr 20, 2013
    Virginia
    I have three 19 week old Easter Eggers. Today, one of them laid a small pink egg! The egg is much too small to eat, so hopefully they will get bigger? What do I do with it? I read that I should leave the egg there to show them where to lay. Is this true? Also, I think I can tell which one laid it because she keeps going and checking on it. Is this normal behavior? HELP

2. You can eat it or leave it (or treat them with an egg ;) )
    Yes it will get bigger
    The one 'checking on it' is more likely a hen interested in laying. If you posted pics of them, however, we could take an accurate guess who layed it and if you'll have others laying soon.

3. chickenluver555

chickenluver555 Songster

Apr 20, 2013
    Virginia
    Thanks so much, I can't wait for more to come. Here is a pic of each of my EE's
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

CCCCCCCCHICKENS Crowing

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    one of the first too is the one laying> I would guess the first is the one that layed the egg. Ironically I had one that looked a lot like her lay a pink egg!

5. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

CCCCCCCCHICKENS Crowing

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    opps I used the wrong two

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I eat the small eggs, just wait until there's a few of them.
    Hens that are new layers or getting ready to lay love to mess with us! They hang out in the nest box, are in and out, make all sorts of weird noises. Whoever laid that egg isn't worried about it and won't care if it vanishes, chicken brains don't work that way. You can leave it there as a marker, it's usually good to have something in a nest box for new layers to encourage them to lay where you want.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: