I NEED FERTILE BROWN EGGS OR CHICKS-PLEASE HELP

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by RBishop1965, Oct 30, 2008.

1. RBishop1965

RBishop1965 New Egg

Oct 30, 2008
    Marshall Illinois
    [​IMG]I am brand new to these forums and would like to say "Hello" to all. I am awfull glad to find this forum and will be spending quite a bit of time here for sure. I have raised chickens all of my life, from butchering w/ grandmaw,4-H and raise them for my own meat and eggs. I now have 25 laying hens, mostly arcanus(?) and a few roosters that roam the yard every day.
    What I am needing is about 200 pullets. I am going into the Pasture raised Egg business this spring if I can find Hatching eggs or chicks.If I could find eggs, chicks, or someplace to order them from. I need these really bad so they will be starting to lay for the start of the farmers markets this spring. I would like to find Rhode Island Reds or a good large brown egg producer. If there is any way anyone can help me I will try to return the favor some day. Thanks All, Have a good day

2. Solsken Farm

Solsken Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Welcome to BYC.[​IMG]

If you go to the bottom of these forum lists, there are BSTs for chicks and hatching eggs for sale. One fellow put a thread up looking for lots of eggs for his sportsman. You could do something like that.

I would probably buy 200 red star pullets from McMurray, if it were me, as they are sex linked and are still shipping.

Good luck!

3. griffin45

griffin45 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2008
    South Central Virgina
    I think that you are wanting the eggs or chicks right now so they can be laying. The big problem is winter is approaching fast and very few hatcheries are providing eggs or chicks (been looking myself). I just preordered 6 leghorns for the spring, but finding what you want may be difficult, but I don't think impossible. Good Luck!

4. jvls1942

jvls1942 Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2008
    wausau,wisconsin
    It might help you get replies if you let us know in what part of the country you are ...

I have a lot of buff orpingtons..
    medium brown eggs.. no problem selling them..

central wisc.

5. ginbart

ginbart Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    [​IMG]

Now lets see. I am getting about 5 egggs a day, sorry I don't think that would help much.

6. greathorse

greathorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Northern Colorado
    Quote:If you are just looking for production stock you should for sure buy hatchery pullets. Red sex link do well on pasture and lay like crazy. I think Welp still has some.

If you really want to hatch you should think about the fact that if you want 200 layers you will need at least 400 eggs because half of course will be roosters. You will need to consider what doesnt hatch so likely going to need 550 eggs. That would fill two Sportsman incubators or nearly so.

You will spend less time and for sure less money raising chicks from hatchery stock JMO

Last edited: Oct 30, 2008
  7. cjeanean

cjeanean Can't Decide

Mar 5, 2008
    Missouri
    [​IMG]

8. jvls1942

jvls1942 Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2008
    wausau,wisconsin
    again, are you near Michigan??there is a farm over there going out of chickens. brown egg layers.
    I think for $3.00 apiece..

they have 1000 chickens to get rid of..

9. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Just set up my breeders, to produce hatching eggs and chicks. RIR , White rock and true Golden Comets(white & red cross)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. RBishop1965

RBishop1965 New Egg

Oct 30, 2008
    Marshall Illinois
    Hey All. Thanks for all of the help. I am in South Central Illinois on te Illinois-Indiana state line on interstate 70, a little town called Marshall. Sorry it has taken me so long to get back. Had the Grandchildren all afternoon and for the night(just got them to bed) and had to go deer hunting(RUT) this evening.
    What I really want to find is chicks. I have a good friend that hatches 10,000 pheasant a year and I was going to use his incubator if i had to but would rather not have to mess with so many eggs. And if I can find chicks I will be 21 day ahead.
    I am going to go to murrey and welp hatchery right now and check out the sex link and the red stars and see what I can come up with.
    Thanks agian, I will check them now and post back what I found in the morning Thanks, Randy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by