I Need Fish HELP By 12:30 This Afternoon!!

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by WhiteCochinLover, Sep 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WhiteCochinLover

WhiteCochinLover Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2011
    Maryland
    Hi I have a 1.5 gSolomon tank and it's called a "goldfish" tank so can I really put a goldfish in it cause the petsmart people say goldfish need like a 23 gallon tank.. If I do get a goldfish it would be a small one. So does anyone have any ideas for any other kinds of fish... like is there another breed that's better? and I need to know by 12:30 this afternoon!!! [​IMG]

2. Cpprpnny19

Cpprpnny19 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2011
    Middleboro
    1 small goldfish or a Betta. Be aware that the goldfish will outgrow the tank VERY quickly lol!

Lynne [​IMG]

3. WhiteCochinLover

WhiteCochinLover Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2011
    Maryland
    K I think I am getting a goldfish

4. watchdogps

watchdogps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Central Ohio
    skip the goldfish, they are high waste and need larger tanks than that to thrive. Does the tank have a filter and heater?

5. annanicole18

annanicole18 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2009
    USA
    A couple Male guppies would be fine too. Or even a few platys or mollies. But at least with the guppies you can see the difference between males and females. Skip the gold fish yeah I know you can get them for less then a quarter but spend the 3 dollars and get something that will be a joy rather than a pain to care for. Like other posters said the goldfish is very dirty and will quickly outgrow that small a tank.

6. Jloeffler

Jloeffler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2011
    Northeast NC
    Quote:And you should be able to get fancy tailed guppies which can be prettier than goldfish.

7. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Paradise gouramie. Close kin to Betta that also tolerant of close confinement plus thrives at a broader range of temperatures, especially on lower end of range.

8. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    I would also skip the gold fish. Get something smaller with a fancy tail. I'm not sure of the names of fish.

Goldfish thrive in larger tanks. We have a 50 gallon tank and bought cheap feeder goldfish as pets. They grew very large and were beautiful. The biggest ones were 6-8 inches long and they lived for 8 years. They would of lived longer if my husband didn't add new fish to the tank.

Now we are trying tropical fish.

9. watchdogps

watchdogps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Central Ohio
    If the tank has a heater, those would be fine, but if not, I'd skip the livebearers. They tend to get ich very easily if not kept warm.

My recommendations for it if it is unheated are:
    1 male betta
    OR
    1 pair of paradise fish
    OR
    3-5 white cloud mountain fish

If you can find a clump of java moss and secure it to a rock or something (it doesnt root, just clings), it will add greenery and help keep the water filtered. Small tnaks like that lose waterquality fast. You will need to do partial water changes at least once a week. try NOT to do 100% water changes, it shocks the fish too much.

10. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Small tanks also prone to rapid temperature fluctuations. Location in stable area will help. Having water aging tank / bucket would help with water changing stress.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by