i need help. 6 week old chicken

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Olga78, Dec 20, 2016.

1. Olga78

Olga78 New Egg

Dec 20, 2016
    Hello. I need your help. I hatch in november 3 baby girls. Two was died (hawk and dog). I have left one baby. She is my favorite. And have 5 older girls. They start pick her a lot. They lived together about months. Now we take small girl to home and decide buy friends same age. 6 week old. I need advice. How many girls buy yet. One or two. I afraid what they can too pick her. What i need do what my baby not feel alone and have good company.Thank you.

2. irfxr

irfxr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 30, 2016
    Bakersfield, California
    Separate them !

3. Olga78

Olga78 New Egg

Dec 20, 2016
    they already separate. I need understand about friends)

4. azygous

azygous True BYC Addict

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Your chick will be fine without a "friend" if you can make her a safe pen inside the chicken pen you have the five older girls in. It doesn't have to be very big, just room so she can have her own food and water in there so the big girls don't bully her away from eating. This is just for during the day time. She will be fine at night roosting with the big girls.

Make entrances in the safe pen, at least two separate ones, that just the six-week old chick can fit through, not the older girls. She will learn to use this safe pen when the big girls pick on her, and she will always be able to get enough to eat.

By the time she's almost as big as the older girls, she won't need the safe pen any more and you can take it down. She will then be part of the flock with the older girls, and those will be her "friends".

5. Olga78

Olga78 New Egg

Dec 20, 2016
    Thank you for information. We decide buy few babes little younger her. Build something how you advice and we will see what happens).

6. azygous

azygous True BYC Addict

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Hope it works out. Let us know what happens. Good luck!

7. Olga78

Olga78 New Egg

Dec 20, 2016
    We bought one chicken 4-5 week old.First day was little bit hard for new) but already in morning they look like best friend. New chicken get name Friendy. We all happy.)[​IMG]

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by