I need help...bad!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by kttodd, Mar 13, 2012.

1. kttodd

kttodd Out Of The Brooder

Feb 5, 2012
    Lorain County, Ohio
    Hello all. I am on my second batch of incubating right now. The first batch I tried about a month ago didn't make it because my incubator spiked up to 104 2 days in a row.

It is day 7 now of the new batch, and I think all my babies are dead. I looked on day 3 and there were a lot of chicks developing. Today I looked and I have mostly blood, blood rings and blood spots. I just don't know what is going on. I have a lil giant and the temp and humidity have been steady since setting them. I do not have an auto turner, but turn 3 times a day. I wash my hands and am very gentle.

Can anyone tell me what is going on. I am trying so hard and just watch to hatch some babies!

Thanks!

2. Nicolla

Nicolla Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2011
    North Alabama
    Aww! I'm so sorry! Where are you getting your eggs from? Do you think maybe it has something to do with that? Maybe to be on the safe side you should disinfect this incubator before you try another batch.

3. kttodd

Feb 5, 2012
    Lorain County, Ohio
    I get most of them from our chickens and bought 8 off ebay. Our chicken eggs were the ones I saw developing well so I know it's not that. :(

4. fried green eggs

fried green eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    S.E. Michigan
    [​IMG] Could your thermometer be calibrated wrong? I have 3 thermometers in my bator. One is a digital Thermometer Hygrometer that reads inside egg temp and sets on egg turner.
    Are you turning eggs too fast? The Auto Turners move very very slowly.
    How are you hand turning - are you rolling from side X to side O? Or are the eggs in carton and you elevate one end and the next time elevate the other end ? Maybe rooster isn't doing his job?
    I hope you can find answers and everything will be all right.

5. kttodd

Feb 5, 2012
    Lorain County, Ohio
    I got my thermometer/hygrometer from Walmart and it seems nice enough. I have no way of knowing if it's right I guess. How would you tell? I turn the eggs from X to O. I don't roll them. I wonder if turning could kill my embryos? The rooster is doing a great job, lol, they were all developing, but have since died. I think I will purchase an auto turner.

Anyone else have thoughts? Please, I could really use the advice!!

TIA!

6. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    There are so many variables and potential reasons for what is going on. Turning is the least likely to be the problem so buying an auto turner is not going to solve your problem, in my opinion. Lil Giant incubators are notoriously difficult to use, but a BYC'er by the name of ChooksChick has hatched hundreds if not thousands of chicks in them, and came up with a "cheat sheet" of tips and tricks for successful hatching in this incubator. You can find it here:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/incubation-cheat-sheet
    I would suggest reading that and go from there.

7. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

Those Walmart thermometers are a big problem. This kind? BIG problem with them.....

[​IMG]

I recommend a thermometer especially made for incubators. It is accurate to within one tenth of a degree. Brinsea Spot Check. They cost around $19.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 14, 2012
  8. kttodd

Feb 5, 2012
    Lorain County, Ohio
    My thermometer isn't that exact one, but it is the same concept. Maybe it is wrong. The thermometer that came with it does read a lot different than the digital. I just thought that it was crap. Maybe it was the other way around. I am going out today to buy a good one. Thanks so much! I really hope that is the problem.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by