I need help!!! Chicken's not laying!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chickensrock12, Dec 1, 2016.

1. chickensrock12

chickensrock12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 22, 2015
    Utah
    So, it has been about three months. They were molting for about a month. But, they haven't layed for three months. I haven't seen any missing feathers. No feathers in the coop or run. When they molted last two year. It lasted for about three weeks, then they layed. I know they lay in the winter because it's happened the last two years. The are EEs. Why is this happening. Give me your feedback soon. Thank you

2. Mahlzeit

Mahlzeit Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2007
    Long Island NY
    Do you have a light in the coop for them? For chickens to keep laying strong through winter they need 14 hours of daylight. I am having a hard time with my birds laying this year too. I have a light in the coop and have them on higher protein feed but for some reason this year they are having a hard time coming out of their molt and laying.

3. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    They are getting older. My birds older than a year or two won't resume laying until spring, most will be March or April. Younger birds molt faster and resume sooner. Birds older than two years are already considered past their prime. I'm surprised how well your EE have already laid for you, mine have never been that productive.

4. chickensrock12

Sep 22, 2015
    Utah
    Really, must be because I have just two. Larger groups of birds tend to lay less.

5. chickensrock12

Sep 22, 2015
    Utah
    Tomorrow I will put my light in. Thank you for your feedback.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by