I need help determining if these two are hens or roosters

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by pixelsbyjen, Jan 24, 2013.

1. pixelsbyjen

pixelsbyjen New Egg

Aug 15, 2012
    I have two in question. They are mixes from black austerlorp or rhode island red dad and the hens we have are americana, barred rock, rhode island red, and black austerlorp. They are 17 weeks old.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 24, 2013
  2. pixelsbyjen

pixelsbyjen New Egg

Aug 15, 2012
    Ugh, I can't get the second one to load, will try again after I pick up kids from school.

Jen

3. RockerHen

RockerHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2011
    Chappells, SC
    Both appear to be cockerels

4. RockerHen

RockerHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2011
    Chappells, SC
    Although pic #1 could go either way. Maybe some better saddle pictures would help.

5. missnu01

missnu01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2012
    The only way I know to tell is by the feathers and the comb color...And it is way easier to tell if you have a known hen somewhere to compare to. I got 7 babies and pretty early on you could tell the roosters from the hens because the hens had tiny little orange-y pink colored combs and the boys were red right from the start almost. We got the chicks when they were 2 months old, so that helps a little too...seeing them grow a bit, but they are the only ones I have sexed, and really there isn't a lot of difference in their feathering still, but those big red combs give it away. With no hen for comparison I have to guess they are cockerels by the redness of the combs.

6. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    the white and red in the second picture and the little black and red in the first picture are for sure roos I am pretty sure the big black and red is also, if you look by his tail area you should see thin red feathers like you do on the little black and red one in the picture with him

7. pixelsbyjen

pixelsbyjen New Egg

Aug 15, 2012
    Thanks for your help!

8. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Not sure about the first pic but the second looks like a cockerel.

9. the first one looks male, the second, female.

10. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    They're both roosters.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by