I need help "Duckling with bum leg" PIC

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by NOLAdee, Jan 10, 2010.

1. NOLAdee

NOLAdee Out Of The Brooder

Jul 22, 2009
    New Orleans
    Hello, My name is Dee... I have been reading here since I first started in this ducky adventure in May '09...
    I know I have seen a few post about ducks with leg problems, but I have never had a problem with my ducklings until today. I have hatched around 25 ducklings since I started... This little guy had a very normal hatch, and seemed fine at first. As he started to move about I noticed him rolling around instead of pushing with his feet. One foot he holds really close to his body and the other crosses under him. Is this correctable? Can he survive? Will he be able to go in with the rest of the flock when older? (I currently have 14 in the flock).

[​IMG]

2. 1lpoock

1lpoock Spruce Creek Waterfowl

Apr 20, 2009
    Sandusky, Ohio
    The best thing you can do right now is get him some niacin... Just sprinkle some brewer's yeast on his food. Fix it fast though because I waited and lost a duck because of it.

3. NOLAdee

Jul 22, 2009
    New Orleans
    Thank you, I will pick up more tomorrow. I usually keep some on hand for my big ducks, but ran out... Here's hoping he makes it.

4. 1lpoock

Apr 20, 2009
    Sandusky, Ohio
    Is he eating alright? And you might want to try to put a band-aid around both legs to keep the bum one where it is supposed to be...do you know what I mean....

5. rainplace

rainplace Interstellar Duck Academy

At that early of an age, I'm not sure that you're looking at a niacin deficiency. With my limited experience I would think maybe the duck was born that way. Of course Niacin in the correct quantities can't hurt, but it looks to me as if something more were wrong with your duckling. Hopefully someone that knows more than I do will have more to say.

Maybe also put this in the emergency section and title it something like "legs look wrong at hatch"

6. 1lpoock

Apr 20, 2009
    Sandusky, Ohio
    I guess it could just be a deformity...how long ago did it hatch?

7. rainplace

rainplace Interstellar Duck Academy

looking at the picture, it still looks wet from hatch?

8. 1lpoock

Apr 20, 2009
    Sandusky, Ohio
    Maybe just gaining strength after hatching... Maybe he just can't het up yet... I don't know, I'm sorry, I don't have much experience with hatching

9. NOLAdee

Jul 22, 2009
    New Orleans
    Thank you all for your advise, when I got up this morning he was still thrashing around. I left for work pretty sure he would be the same when I got home... but to my excitement he was up and walking perfectly normal. I was so afraid there was something really wrong. All he needed was a little more time than his siblings.

Thank you all again...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by