I NEED HELP FAST!!!

Discussion in 'Hatch-A-Longs' started by megan chickens, Feb 13, 2017.

1. megan chickens

megan chickens Out Of The Brooder

Feb 3, 2017
    Someone help one of my chicks is just lying their dead still. I picked her up and she wont even open her eyes. I gave her some pumpkin but i had to use a syringe to get it down. She is really weak and wont stand what do i do! She is 1 day old.

2. Pyxis

Pyxis Dark Sider Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    Can you describe your brooder set up? Is she warm enough? Any other chicks showing problems? Are there any other symptoms?

Make sure she is warm and do not force feed her anything else, you may cause her to aspirate and kill her if you continue to do that and do it improperly.

3. megan chickens

Feb 3, 2017
    she is in the incubator right now yes she is warm. No others showing problems all others happy and running around.

4. megan chickens

Feb 3, 2017
    she just lays their and when i pick her up she chirps and lifts her head then puts her head back down and goes to sleep

5. Pyxis

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    Is she newly hatched? Could she still be tired from that? If she is warm enough and in the incubator, there's not much else to do. Make sure she's alone in there so she doesn't get trampled by others and we will hope she improves :fl

Sometimes they are just not strong enough and the exertion of hatching is too much for them, but we will hope she recovers.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2017
  6. megan chickens

Feb 3, 2017
    Well she was hatched yesterday night and she is alone. Is the incubator to hot for her, its on 98. i have another egg in their its going to hatch tomorrow hopefully

Last edited: Feb 13, 2017
  7. Pyxis

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    Generally they are fine in the incubator with the warmer temps for a few days after hatch, so that's probably not playing a role.

Could she perhaps be a "mushy chick"?

8. megan chickens

Feb 3, 2017
    I'm not sure, i keep my incubator really clean and i washed my hands every time i turn them. She does have a red bump where her yok sack was, if she a mushy chick what do i do?

9. megan chickens

Feb 3, 2017
    Thanks so much for all your help but she just passed away. [​IMG]

10. Pyxis

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    I'm so sorry you lost her :hugs

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by