I need help fast!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by dmrflorida, Apr 25, 2009.

1. dmrflorida

dmrflorida New Egg

Apr 25, 2009
    My son in law wants an urban coop that my husband will make for his birthday this Wednesday. We know NOTHING about chickens and coops. I have had trouble finding plans. I don't want to purchase any as my husband is handy. We are going to build it 4 x 8 with coop and run. In the coop area- for 3 hens max we need a nesting box and an area for them to hang out at night- is this correct? Excuse me that I don't know the lingo. If I had the time to research your site I am sure my questions are there but...time is limited. Can you give me any advice of the best set up for their coop? Would it be a problem with a flat roof (cheaper) and should that be plywood? I sure do appreciate any quick advice for this venture. Thanks so much.

2. Rusty's Ranch

Rusty's Ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    So Cal
    If you haven't already done so ... check out the Coop Design page. There should be a link to it on the home page of this site. That's where we got our ideas for our coop. We're newbies and don't have much advice to offer yet, but since you're in Florida, I'd think you'll want a lot of ventilation to help with the heat (vents/windows). And I would think maybe a sloped roof in case you get lots of rain - so the water can drain back away from the coop and run. Just some thoughts ... really, check out the coop design pages. Many of them have step by step instructions on how they put their coops together.

Best wishes ... whatever you come up with will probably be fine. Chickens aren't too hard to please.

Sonia

3. dmrflorida

dmrflorida New Egg

Apr 25, 2009
    Thanks- I was trying to find a good design which I did but I just found the picture with no specs. Inside the coop- there should be a box for laying eggs and also an area for them to just sleep at night. Is that right?

4. Suburban chick farmer 09

Suburban chick farmer 09 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2009
    St. Louis MO
    Thats right, good luck. Each chicken doesn't need its own nest box, one nest box will work for 4 chickens.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2009
  5. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    A 2x4 is a great roost for hens .. In the cold it keeps there toes warm.. Just make sure its off the ground and not too high that they either cant get on it or dont have head space. Mines about three foot off ground and is lil too high... Also a good nest box is 12inx12inx12in.. You should only need one for 3 hens... They all lioke to use the same one..

The roost is where they sleep at night... Another thing make it as predator proof as possible..

Last edited: Apr 25, 2009
  6. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    Will they have a run? They need to be able to get outside to scratch around and eat bugs.. 10sq ft per bird is good...

7. TammyTX

TammyTX Overrun With Chickens

Feb 16, 2009
    Texas
    You might be able to find a small shed on Craigslist that can be converted. You can even find already made coops that, with a little work, could be ready in time.

8. dmrflorida

dmrflorida New Egg

Apr 25, 2009
    Hi thanks everyone! The whole set up will be a 4 x 8 foot. however- the enclosed compartment with the nest and roost will take up 4 feet x 24 inches or so and be raised off the ground. The hens will have the run on the entire ground of 4 x 8 as I think they will be able to go under their box. Does that sound logical and sufficient? Does the roof over the remainder need to be plywood or could that area be chicken wire and put a roof over the enclosed roost and nest box.

9. dmrflorida

dmrflorida New Egg

Apr 25, 2009
    Quote:Thanks Tammy- we did try to find one- but where we live in Florida and now with the timeframe- I couldn't find a prefab. None of the tractor supply stores had any instock!

10. headred

headred Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2009
    Lawrence
    I have ducks but just use a Little Tikes house found on craigslist. I think you could do the same thing with chickens?? See website for idea :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by