I need help figuring out whats wrong with my hen.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Chelsea10897, Oct 12, 2016.

1. Chelsea10897

Chelsea10897 New Egg

May 16, 2016
    My Coop
    Hello everyone, i cannot figure out how to help my poor hen. Little background, i have 6 chickens all hens no roosters. i have had this maran hen for about 5 months i got her when she was around 8 months old and when i got her she was bare on her back and missing some feathers around her eyes and head. I thought nothing of it because i had seen the person had a fairly large rooster so i assumed he was most likely the cause or she was molting.I did get another hen along with her and the other hen is doing very well. After having her for 5 months i have seen no improvements her feathers are not growing back and she hasn't layed an egg since i've gotten her. i have payed very close attention to make sure the others havent been picking on her and they all seem to get along very well. she still has loads of energy shes always the first one to come running when i get home knowing i most likely have a treat for her. The bare spot on her back is very red but has never had blood or blisters on it. i've checked for mites and haven't seen anything also my other hens are doing very well no missing feathers and are all laying. im getting very worried about her and am hoping to get some feedback what could be the cause and where to go from here. Thanks :)

2. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

The feathers will not grow back till she is about 18 months old and goes into a moult....She will be fine as long as the other hens do not start pecking her bare back...If that happens use Blu-kote on her redden back...Chickens love to peck any red areas....

Cheers!

3. Chelsea10897

Chelsea10897 New Egg

May 16, 2016
    My Coop
    Is there something i should do to prevent frostbite? We get pretty bad winters here.

4. chickens really

Not sure of your set up? Coop size, Breed of Chickens..Or where you live?

More info please....

Cheers!

5. Chelsea10897

Chelsea10897 New Egg

May 16, 2016
    My Coop
    I live in new england it gets very cold. My coop is the size of a small shed. All of my chickens are different breeds i have a silkie, brahma, frizzle/silkie mix, easter egger, maran, and barred rock. All young birds no older than 2. They free range during the day and go in the coop at night.

6. chickens really

Silkies and frizzles will need a heat source at night....When temps really dip they should stay inside...A heat lamp might be your only option? I run heat to keep my water from freezing...I also have huge breed birds though...

Cheers!

7. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Overrun With Chickens

Hi, welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

@chickens really gave great info, the feathers will not regrow until molt. Never heard Silkies needed more warmth and wouldn't have suspected it either, now I must do a little research. We rarely get below 38 degrees here.

I know good ventilation is important to prevent frostbite on combs and waddles as the built up moisture in the air is what causes the freezing problem, more than being bare. Also some people put a heating pad on the wall behind the roost for heat, so the light doesn't add stress. Of course, I would think light stress would be way less stressful than being too cold for too long a period of time.

Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by