I need help fixing up some neglected chickens.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by JekkaLynn, Jul 27, 2014.

1. JekkaLynn

JekkaLynn Songster

Apr 25, 2014
    Ontario
    I have had a lot of chickens over the years but they have always come to live with me is good condition.

Yesterday I went to buy some frizzle hens and a silkie rooster to breed with them. I found what I think are actually frazzle hens and a young skinny rooster missing half of his upper beak. I bought them just to get them out of there.

I now fing myself with three birds that need help.

The rooster has slightly overgrown toes, and is missing the end half of his upper beak. He is very stressed so I didn't Peter him to get a picture of it. I have seen him eating the pellets and I gave them a mash yesterday and I am wondering if I should be making them a mash every day to help him gain and maintane a decent weight.
    [​IMG]

2. JekkaLynn

JekkaLynn Songster

Apr 25, 2014
    Ontario
    The second bird is a mostly black silkie/cochin hen. She has nothing but quills left on her wings and has several patches of skin showing. Her nails are more overgrown then the rooster's bit it is mostly her baldness I am worried about.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Their previous owner said the baldness was from over breeding so but I think that she might be frazzles instead of frizzles.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2014
  3. JekkaLynn

JekkaLynn Songster

Apr 25, 2014
    Ontario
    The third bird is a blue cochin hen. She has a lot more feather then the black hen but still has a couple of bald spots. Out of the three birds her feet are the worst with inch long nails and one toe is encased in a rock hard piece of poop.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. JekkaLynn

JekkaLynn Songster

Apr 25, 2014
    Ontario
    All three bird's feathers were filthy and matted together when I brought them home. The water in the bucket was black after their bath.

5. JekkaLynn

JekkaLynn Songster

Apr 25, 2014
    Ontario
    I managed to get a picture of his broken beak. It isn't a great pictute but I don't want to stress him out.
    [​IMG]

6. CrystalLuvsHens

CrystalLuvsHens In the Brooder

Jun 11, 2015
    Texas
    How are your chickens now?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by