I need help for a malpositioned pip

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by fortkevin10, Jan 18, 2014.

1. fortkevin10

fortkevin10 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 27, 2013
    On of the gta has piped and it's pipped at the wrong side. It hasn't made any progress since (12 hours). Should I try to assist it? Thanks

2. fried green eggs

fried green eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    S.E. Michigan
  3. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Where exactly did it pip? If it was bang in the middle of the egg it may need assisting, but closer to either end it should be able to wiggle and zip. That has been my experience with malpositioned chicks FWIW. Please keep in mind, if you assist, that the chick most likely didn't pip internally, but skipped that stage, which adds ± 6-7 hours to the normal hatch time. For normal "presentations" I give the chick 24 hours before I intervene, but with malpositions I add 6-7 hours to allow for that. Also see here:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/step-by-step-guide-to-assisted-hatching

Good luck!

4. fortkevin10

Dec 27, 2013
    It pipped on the total wrong side. One thing I didn't see in either articles was how long to let it be. It's been 24 hours since it pipped, so when should I assist? It's only day 19 of the incubation though

5. sumi

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    That's a bit early, but then I've had chicken eggs hatch on day 18, under broody hens. If it's been 24 hours I'd investigate and see if the little one's ready to come out. Have you looked at the assisted hatch article? There are pics and instructions plenty. Have a read through there and look at the pics, it will show you what to look out for. If you need help or have questions post pics please!

6. fortkevin10

Dec 27, 2013
    [​IMG]

That pip is on the wrong end, it's the one I'm talking about.

7. bugglesmommy

bugglesmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Please keep in mind that a properly positioned chck pips into the air cell often 12-24 hours before an external pip is made. Then it can upwards of 30 hours sometimes before the chick is ready. This little guy didn't have an air cell to pip into and had to skip that step- but that doesn't mean the yolk doesn't need that extra time to absorb. If the chick has air then the next greatest threat is stepping in too soon.

8. fortkevin10

Dec 27, 2013
    I did pick away at a little piece of shell. He ended up hatching!! Thanks everyone!!

9. bugglesmommy

bugglesmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] Share some pics!

10. sumi

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    [​IMG] Pics, please?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by