I need help from dry incubation fans! Quick!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by hmlongino, Aug 4, 2011.

1. hmlongino

hmlongino Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2009
    Fayetteville, GA
    Okay, I have eggs that are settling at the moment... and I need to put them in SOON. I am following the advice of https://www.backyardchickens.com/LC-DryIncubation.html. BUT... although my house is a constant 50% humidity, my foam hovabator, with the red plugs out (as suggested) and my humidity in the bator is only 19%??? I'm not sure what to do. Why is it not stabilizing to the humidity of the room? What would you do? I have more than one hydrometer so I know it's correct.

If you could give me some advice ASAP, I would appreciate it!!!

Holly

2. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    Temperature and humidity are inter-related - temp affects humidity. Your house is at 50% humidity but the temp is probably lower than the desired incubation temp in your incubator. That is why your humidity is different.

3. hmlongino

Jun 12, 2009
    Fayetteville, GA
    Well, yes, the temp is lower. Perhaps I missed something and need to go reread the article.... Do you mean my bator would have to be in a room in my house that is close to the temp inside the bator? Then... why have a bator at all? I could just have a 99.5 degree living room at 50% humidity and hatch them on the couch?

Surely, we're missing something here.

For those who do dry incubation, how do you make it work? I chose a room with very little temp swing and a constant humidity. Beyond that, what am I doing wrong? Coach me... and quickly!

Holly

4. skillswife

skillswife Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2010
    SW Montana
    If you are doing dry incubation you don't need higher humidity in the bator. If you still want the humidity higher in your bator you will have to add a wet sponge or cloth and close a vent. The higher heat in the bator burns off the moisture so unless your house is 99.5 your humidity in the bator will not be 50% like it is in your house. If you raised the heat in your house to 99.5 it would drop the humidity to what your bator is reading. Hope I explained that so you can understand. I live in a dry climate and keep a moist sponge in my bator to keep the humidity up a bit but not enough to drown the chicks.

5. skillswife

Jul 19, 2010
    SW Montana
    Humidity is less tragic at the beginning, just the temps, so put your eggs in when the temps are good and you can keep working on the humidity.

6. hmlongino

Jun 12, 2009
    Fayetteville, GA
    Thank you. I am just so stressed out as we've lost a bunch of chickens to predators lately, and my last 3 hatches were miserable.... so I just HAVE to get this right!!

Do you weigh your eggs?

7. skillswife

Jul 19, 2010
    SW Montana
    Nope I don't weigh them. I think that there is a lot of unnecessary stress put on ourselves to get things right when even hens themselves don't get it right all the time either. Take a deep breath and try and relax. I am so sorry that you have lost many chickens [​IMG] My [​IMG] for you!

8. SierraView

SierraView Chillin' With My Peeps

If you know your hydrometer is right then you might need to add some water even with a dry hatch. I think a dry hatch is around 35% but not sure. I live in a dry climate and keep mine at 45% 1-18 day. Go by whats inside your incubator and forget what it is in the house. Temp affects humidity. My humidity in the house is 37% and my incubator is 20% or less without any water when I fire it up.

9. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    Are the vent holes blocked?? THe ones on the bottom or sides. OR top ones? I'm wondering if air is not flowing thru the vent system.

10. hmlongino

Jun 12, 2009
    Fayetteville, GA
    I left the plugs out in the top, and there are small holes around the bottom, as well.

Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by