I need help hen looks to have white film over her eye

dixie2003

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jun 14, 2011
Please help answer if you can my hen has a white film that has devolped over her eye what could cause this and should she be put down?

Can you post pictures?
And a bit more info would be good too, like age, breed, etc
smile.png

I cant get a pick cause it is storming right now but she is a 2 year old ameraucana. she is not acting like she is sick but she does not see you at all when you come on her left side it looks like she might be blind you cant see her eye at all but her right eye is fine she is eating and drinking and is active.

she lied a egg 2 days ago for the first time since she molted. but when i found it they had broke it and were eating it

It sounds like it could be her third eyelid is stuck - does it look like this?

third-eye-lid-thumb.jpg

If a hen's eye is pecked or injured it can sometimes affect this inner eyelid. There's a chance she might have an eye infection.
Do you have anywhere you could get some rythromycin (broad spectrum antibiotic) ophthalmic ointment? In a pinch you can use human eye drops, I think.

Is it definitely white, and not gray?

Could be anything from the roosters to a sharp twig or another hen, really.

If it's solid white it isn't the eyelid and is more likely an infection. Flush her eye with salt water for now, if she'll let you.
Look for a layer of white gunk that's covering her eye, to confirm it. You might see it moving a bit when you rinse it out.

I'd definitely be looking at getting her antibiotics asap. Preferably eye-drops but anything is better than nothing.

Last edited:
I wouldn't do anything hasty. Take her out from the flock, treat her and give her some time to recover. It should be very treatable
smile.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom