1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

i need help here with a baby chick!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Kori, Mar 31, 2012.

1. Kori

Kori Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2012
    Copperas Cove,Texas
    he was the last one to hatch and is about a day old now............hes been sleeping a lot more than the others and gets steped on alot.........hes sleeping in my lap as i type this......do you think he is weak and might die????????????please help me!!!!!!!!!!!![​IMG]

2. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    Make sure it is drinking. You can add a little gatorade in the water. If it doesn't get enough water it will die. Good luck I hope it makes it.
    Michele

3. Kori

Mar 11, 2012
    Copperas Cove,Texas
    thank you sooooooooooooooo much!!!!!i will start paying more atention to see if he is drinking.....i hate it when chicks only get a couple of days to get a taste of life......

4. Kori

Mar 11, 2012
    Copperas Cove,Texas
    anybody else got some advice???????[​IMG]

5. smchickfarm

smchickfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2010
    Waynesville,OH
    like the other post said, make sure it is drinking and add gatorade. That is about all you can do.

Good luck [​IMG]

6. Kori

Mar 11, 2012
    Copperas Cove,Texas
    thank you i will try that and see what happens![​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

7. Lacrystol

Lacrystol Hatching Helper

Jun 13, 2009
    Diamond, Ohio
    I would probably get some Polyvisol in him about 1 drop. I'm a strong believer in this stuff. Does his breathing seem different, I would separate him if he is getting stepped on, the other's may trample him and kill him, can he walk at all? Gatorade is good but does have a lot of suger in it, you may want to try some Pedialyte(original, no flavor) or electrolyte. Helps in case he's dehydrated.. Just touch his beak with a dropper and let him do the work, you don't want to force him to drink it could get into his lungs. polyvisol in my opinion seems to make them hungry. Is he eating, if not try softening up his food.. Can he stand at all? does he walk OK if he is able to walk. He sounds like he may be exhausted, give him more time, he should get better. But the polyvisol will help with strength...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by