i need help!!!!!! i have a sick pheasant

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by mettymet, Dec 19, 2013.

1. mettymet

mettymet Out Of The Brooder

Jun 27, 2013
    hi ,,,
    i need help i have a sick pheasant ,,,,,,both eyes are closed and they dont look swollen or cut ,,,i have know idea whats wrong ,,any help would be great !!!

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    You might also try posting on the pheasants and partridge forum under Breeds. Is there an ammonia smell or a lot of dust in the coop that might irritate her eyes? Does she have any nasal drainage? Any eye drainage?

3. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Pheasants are susceptible to the same things that peafowl and turkeys get... If you don't think it respiratory I would be highly suspicious of blackhead or capillary worms. Has it lost weight? What does the poop look like? I think pheasants are more stoic than peafowl, so I would treat this as a life threatening emergency.

-Kathy

4. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Blackhead, coccidiosis and capillary worms can be treated if caught soon enough, but are usually fatal if left too long. All three can produce bloody poop and both blackhead and coccidiosis can produce yellow poop. It's even possible to have all three at once.

You should read this:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/804570/coping-with-blackhead

Blackhead
    Metronidazole, sold as Flagyl, Fish-Zole, Meditrich or API General Cure(check box to verify ingredients include 250mg metronidazole) is what's needed to treat blackhead in the early stages. Once it has advanced, an antibiotic like Baytril or Clavamox is also needed for the secondary e. Coli infection they they will probably get.
    Metronidazole doses I have heard of vary, but I will guarantee you that it's no less than 30mg/kg once a day by mouth. I have no idea how much your pheasant weighs, so I can't tell you how much to give.
    [​IMG]

Baytril doses i have been told to use vary, too. This is what I have been told to use in the past:
    • 20mg/kg once a day for 5 days
    • 15mg/kg twice a day for 5 days
    • 10mg/kg twice a day for 5 days

1kg = 2.2 pounds

They will also need to be wormed with a wormer that's effective against the cecal worm, I use Safeguard or Panacur, liquid or paste (both are 10% fenbendazole) at 50mg/kg (.5ml per 2.2 pounds) by mouth and repeat in ten days.

Capillary Worms
    Effective worming of the capillary worm with Safguard or Panacur requires dosing 3-5 days in a row with some amount... Still trying to find a documented study on that. In the meantime I use 50mg/kg for five days.

Coccidiosis
    Chickens get 9 or more different strains of coccidia, turkeys get 7 different ones and pheasants get something different from them, but I don't know how many that is. The treatment that most in North America use is amprolium, which is sold as Corid or Amprol and comes in a liquid or powder. I think it's called Amprolium 200 in Australia, but don't quote me on that. Some strains can also be treated with Sulfa drugs like Di-Methox or Sulmet.

-Kathy

5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    From one of your links, capillary worms:
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/6868306/?i=5&from=/6743169/related

6. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop

I have one that I tried that on just recently, but I'm not comfortable suggesting that others try it if you know what I mean. On my list of things to do is to find a vet that I can talk to about all theses different studies I keep finding.

FWIW, the peahen that I did that with appears to be better, but she also got 5 days of metronidazole, so I have no way of know what treatment cured her.

She's a 3.5kg hen, so she got 3.5ml Safeguard the first day, then I decide to be paranoid and gave her 1.75ml for another 5 or 6 days. She also got 200mg Flagyl once a day for five days.

-Kathy

Last edited: Dec 19, 2013
  7. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Of course Valbazen (albendazole) is another way one could treat capillary worms and I believe the effective dose in chickens is 20mg/kg once and repeat in 10 days. Seems to me that would be the better way to go if one had access to Valbazen, but Safeguard is something you can get at almost and feedstore. :D

-Kathy

8. mettymet

mettymet Out Of The Brooder

Jun 27, 2013
    thank you everybody !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by