I need help! I have a very sick Rooster

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by motherhen78, Mar 13, 2011.

1. motherhen78

motherhen78 In the Brooder

Mar 13, 2011
    I have a 1 yr old Rooster that has been acting kinda funny the last couple days. He wouldnt perch at the top of the coop like he always does. He would lay near the food and water under the heat lamp. Well today he had a turn for the worse. He was acting like he was drunk. So I called the vet and she was going to charge me a lot to bring him in. I dont have that kind of money to take him in. So the vet suggested it sounded like a severe bacteria infection, and that I should start him on penicillin. So I did all that and put him in a seperate pen where he is comfy lots of shavings food and medicated water and a heat lamp. Does anyone have any advice they can give me???

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life

I'd say now it's wait and see. you've done all you can for him, so hopefully the Penn. will kick in and he'll recover.. let us know how he is tomorrow. Is he eating and drinking on his own? if not then the only way he's going to get better is if you get that med. water into him. have you thought of giving him Penn shots?

3. motherhen78

Mar 13, 2011
    Yes he is eating and drinking. I gave him his first penn shot tonight. Thank you! I will keep you updated. I'm fixing to go out there and check on him to see how he is doing.

4. mysweetpeeps

mysweetpeeps In the Brooder

Aug 31, 2008
    CT
    I had a rooster who acted like that. He ended up not standing at all, then his head started twisting over his back, and had yellowish diarrhea in the end. It may not be the same issue, but the necropsy said it was an E. Coli infection. Hope that helps!

5. motherhen78

Mar 13, 2011
    What do I do if he has that? And will it affect my flock? He is in quarantine right now.

6. lilchick

lilchick Songster

May 23, 2008
    Williamsport In.
    Neomycin works for e-coli. I got a packet at farm store.

7. motherhen78

Mar 13, 2011
    Thank you! [​IMG]

8. FarmerDenise

FarmerDenise Songster

Apr 21, 2007
    Sonoma County
    Whenever I have an unwell chicken I offer them water with electrolites and vitamins added. I buy a packet every year, so it is fresh. We also add this stuff to their water any time the chickens are under stress, including heat waves.

9. tinychicky

tinychicky Songster

Mar 24, 2010
    Hollis, New Hampshire
    sounds like you're going the right things [​IMG] to give him a boost try some vitamins/electrolytes and maybe some probiotics (i was able to buy a bottle at the pharmacy for less than five bucks [​IMG] ). i hope this helps!

10. motherhen78

Mar 13, 2011
    Thank you all! I put vitamins and electrolytes in his water. Also I put Duramycin-10 in his water too. Is that too much?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: