I need help identifying stray eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by SpringtownEggLady, Apr 17, 2011.

1. SpringtownEggLady

SpringtownEggLady Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2011
    Springtown, Texas
    I have several production reds that have been laying eggs for a few months. I have some pullets that are right at the age to begin laying (an ameracauna, a light brahma, and 3 more reds). In addition I have 2 guinea hens and 3 turkey hens (as well as a male guinea and two toms). I have been finding an odd shaped egg here and there - just out in the middle of bare pasture, etc. These eggs are shaped like a guinea egg, but approx the same size as a chicken egg. They are lighter in color than a typical brown chicken egg (kind of a pinkish tan) and very speckled. They appear to be too big to be a guinea egg, but from what I'm guessing, too small to be a turkey egg?? Could they be from my Light Brahma?? Why would they be laying just out in the open?? Help Please.

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    [​IMG] Speckled eggs shaped somewhat like a guinea egg but larger sounds like a turkey hen starting to lay. Why they are just dropping them in the open?

3. SpringtownEggLady

Apr 17, 2011
    Springtown, Texas
    I thought turkey eggs would be larger, but it does make sense that they are turkey eggs based on where I found them. Initially I picked them up and placed them in a chicken nesting box. Should I move them to an area where the turkeys hang out??

4. sourland

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    If they are just starting to lay in their first season, the size of their eggs will increase. I would save the eggs in a moderately temped place and turn them daily hoping for a broody chicken or turkey hen.

5. SpringtownEggLady

Apr 17, 2011
    Springtown, Texas
    Thanks for your help. Everything you've said has made perfect sense. I will try your suggestion. It is exciting that I may have four turkey eggs.!! Still learning, and probably will be for a long time to come.

6. sourland

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    My philosophy is that if we are doing things the right way, we continue learning until the day that we die.[​IMG] [​IMG]

7. SpringtownEggLady

Apr 17, 2011
    Springtown, Texas
    If these are indeed Turkey eggs, and of course if they are fertilized (which by the way, I think they may likely be) whats the chance that they will hatch? These would be the first few eggs from a fairly young turkey hen, and as I mentioned they are kind of small. Not even sure that she would sit on them, given the fact that she just dropped them wherever she happened to be walking past. Just wondering if anyone has had any experience with a similar circumstance.

8. sourland

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Fertility and viability of the smaller eggs might be questionable, but if you have a broody hen why not give it a try?[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by