I need help identifying the chickens I just received. Thanks.

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by aheffner, Jul 30, 2010.

1. aheffner

aheffner New Egg

Jul 30, 2010
    We've just inherited 3 chickens a couple of days ago and are trying to learn as much as we can in order to properly take care of them. One question we have is what kind of chickens we have. I know 2 are hens, but I'm not sure about the white one and I cannot locate their breeds. I have no idea how old they are either. Any help you can offer would be appreciated. Also, the pics are taken with my cell so they aren't great. If you need clearer pics in order to identify them, let me know and I can take some better ones. Thank you!

1) All 3 Chickens
    [​IMG]

2)
    [​IMG]

3)
    [​IMG]

4)
    [​IMG]

5)
    [​IMG]

2. Rebel Rooster

Rebel Rooster I Will Love! :)

Jun 29, 2009
    Central SC
    My Coop
    The white/red one looks to be a cross... maybe a Rhode Is. Red and Wht. leghorn,,, the blk pullet looks like a blk sexlink, and the blue pullet looks to be a cross, maybe just an easter egger (easter eggers are usually crosses anyway)... [​IMG]

3. aheffner

aheffner New Egg

Jul 30, 2010
    Thanks. Is the white one a hen or rooster?

4. ekemily

ekemily Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2010
    Fairhope, AL
    #3 looks like a blue andalusian. they can be a "flighty" breed. Imagine that... a bird being ''flighty''.... [​IMG]
    However, the pic is not that great, so I'm not positive. It's also a more unusual breed and usually not just given away.
    the black one could also be a blue andalusian. It's head looks like it. Many turn out black and many turn out "blue"
    hope this helps

5. aheffner

aheffner New Egg

Jul 30, 2010
    It does. I'll post some better pics that aren't so blurry. #3 (the black and grey one) is one that tries to fly the most. My sister-in-law kept chickens for their eggs and she just passed away so we took 3 of her chickens. The black one, #4, is totally black but when the sun hits, I see some red on his head feathers and irridecent greenish/blue on his back feathers. Do you think the white one is a hen too?

6. ekemily

ekemily Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2010
    Fairhope, AL
    This is a not so great picture of one of my young blue andalusian pullets.
    [​IMG]

This is also a not-so-great picture of another one of my blue andalusians. It is sheeny black. It's on the far left.
    [​IMG]

7. aheffner

aheffner New Egg

Jul 30, 2010
    Those two look exactly like mine. I bet that's what they are. Thanks!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by