I need help, is my coop bad for my chickens!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickensrock12, Dec 19, 2016.

1. chickensrock12

chickensrock12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 22, 2015
    Utah
    So, I got this coop off of KSL from a guy who sold it to me for $50. I got it about 3 years ago. When winter hit this year I noticed that my chickens might frostbite, some broken toes, and are getting cold at night. I have a heat lamp in there and wired floor. I also took down there 2 by 4 board because the were pooping on it and made some modifications that I thought would help. But now I'm regretting it. I only have two. Do you think The coop is ok or do I need to fix it.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

Yes, Fix it.....Get rid of the wire floor.....Very tight living space.......The Roost branch is very thin....The 2x4 was better....They can lay on it to cover their toes......

Dry bedding as in PINE shavings or straw.......Keep things clean and that big feeder is not really needed for two Chickens....

They need room....

Cheers!

3. Adalida

Adalida Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2015
    Montana
    Everything chickens really said...I'd do something about that floor immediately, that's got to catch their toes and be really painful.

4. dannyell75

dannyell75 New Egg

Dec 19, 2016
    And get some hay....

5. chickensrock12

Sep 22, 2015
    Utah
    Don't worry I'm getting a step on chicken feeder that I can put outside. I'll have to ask the wife if I can put floor with wood shavings on it. She tends to get grossed out when she sees the poop.

6. chickensrock12

Sep 22, 2015
    Utah
    Here is the chicken step feeder.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. chickensrock12

Sep 22, 2015
    Utah
    This is my friends feeder that is in Idaho that I will get when I get back from vacation.

8. chickens really

I think I recall your other post about the feeder......Your Wife needs to get over the poop......It will make your Birds happier...

Cheers!

9. chickensrock12

Sep 22, 2015
    Utah
    Ok, yah I remember you too. The funny thing is my wife insisted we get chickens. She asked me if there was a breed that isn't that messy. I've raised EEs lots of times. I told her they will be messy, but with my experience with other birds these were my least messy breed I've ever had.

10. chickens really

lol.......I have never found one to wear an apron......Joking aside....They are all dusty and poop machines......

If she wanted Chickens? She better get used to poop.....lol............[​IMG]

Cheers!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by