I need help is this a ROOSTER?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Chickensx5, Nov 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chickensx5

Chickensx5 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 9, 2013
    [​IMG]I need help we bought her back in August thinking it was a Hen the past couple weeks she has been extremely mean to my other Hens now im thinking its a Rooster? It is an Easter Egger and about 3 1/2 months old what do you think? thank you for your help!! She pecks at the others jumps on top of them pulls feathers out of them and chasses them around our pen!

2. BarredRocks3

BarredRocks3 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 1, 2013
    New Hampshire
    I see hackles, a red comb and saddle feathers so my answer, yes. Next time, there's a "What Gender or Breed is This?" Section to post a quesyion like this.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2013
  3. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I think that she's a rooster.

4. BarredRocks3

Aug 1, 2013
    New Hampshire
    And the jumping on the other hens and chasing them, thats part of mating :p. Or it could be him being aggressive.

5. Chickensx5

Chickensx5 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 9, 2013
    thank you I am new to this this is my first post here I did post on the other also sorry what are saddle feathers and hackles?

6. BarredRocks3

Aug 1, 2013
    New Hampshire
    A saddle feather are on the lower part of the back, just below the tail. They are pointed at the ends and loose. Hackles are on the neck of the chicken, when the rooster fights it makes him look bigger, basically a fanvy word for neck feathers on a rooster. [​IMG]

on my ameraucana, his saddle feathers are a light orange and the hackles are black at the base of the neck.

7. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Saddle feather are the pointy, longer feathers on a chicken's back near the tail. Hens don't have saddle feathers. Hackles are the neck feathers of a chicken. They are pointy in males, and blunt in females.

8. handyman42

handyman42 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 17, 2013
    Sardis, AR
    Long hackles, bright red comb and beautiful plumage I'd say a roo.

9. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by