I need Help!!!!!!! It is a long story.

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Waylon Nowak, Nov 1, 2016.

1. Waylon Nowak

Waylon Nowak New Egg

Nov 1, 2016
    Everything was absolutely great at my house. I had grown up from the day I was born with bantam chickens and I loved them. My great grandfather had these same chickens when he was a kid And they have been passed down the family to me. But I have reached the end of this chicken family tree and they are completely done with laying eggs.It was normal for us to lose and gain chickens over time but a tragedy came. My little brothers Decided to play with the chickens one day in the chicken coop and forgot to lock it up. At the time,we adopted a Husky and she got in and killed every single chicken except for the head rooster. THE only reason why we still have chickens is because we had two groups of chickens and she only got into one. We still had a chance to repopulate and we got ONE new baby chick until my husky got in again. This time we were prepared and had a small hole leading to one pen to the other so that they can escape. IT WORKED!!!! But we still lost some chickens. All of the chickens hate each other and all I want is them to get along. They do not care about reproduction anymore and I have accepted it. There are seven chickens left, Five roosters. Two hens. Three adult roosters get along fine. The two hens get along Great. An elderly rooster has adopted the one Rooster that was born after the first husky tragedy, The rooster is a young adult and gets along with his Father (The elderly rooster) Great. BUT how do I bring them all together?! PLEASE HELP!!! I am sorry it was long but I am just worried about them.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2016
  2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    You have too many roosters. Roosters will fight for mating rights, they don't care about getting along. I would keep the hens by themselves or with only one rooster. The roosters cause stress to the hens. You are going to have to make some decisions. I would separate roosters from hens.

Husky are notorious chicken killers. Best to not keep that breed without a very secure coop.

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

Pick your best rooster, and put him with the two hens. Let the other roosters live together in a bachelor pad.

Especially if they're not young birds, they may not be that into mating until spring. Especially with recent predator attacks. You'll just need to give them time to settle down.

4. Waylon Nowak

Waylon Nowak New Egg

Nov 1, 2016
    The Husky is now locked up and I was afraid that was the problem.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2016
  5. Waylon Nowak

Waylon Nowak New Egg

Nov 1, 2016
    I have chosen my Rooster. It will be the young adult. But what of the elderly rooster. He is antisocial.

6. Jensownzoo

Jensownzoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2016
    Saint Louis, MO
    Does elderly rooster get along with the hens? You may be able to put young/old roo and hens together until spring depending on current hormonal behavior. Look into perhaps adding some puchased pullets to that group (after a sufficient quarantine period) as two hens may not be even be enough for a single young roo, depending on how "active" he is.

Alternatively, you can either rehome or cull.

7. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Overrun With Chickens

Hi, welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

It's unfortunate when we come to a place where we have to make these kind of decisions. But eventually we do. [​IMG]

You have already been given good advice.

Good luck!

8. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon

If you have a bird that just doesn't work with the flock, get rid of it. If it's not breeding stock, no need to keep a rooster.

If you're keeping it for sentimental reasons, sounds like you'll need to house him apart from the others. You mentioned in your first post wanting them all together. Sounds like that's just not gonna happen. Set up your breeding pen, keep a back up cockerel and do with the excess males whatever you want.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by