I need help: Leg Bands for Chickens?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Kelly G, Jul 10, 2008.

1. Kelly G

Kelly G It's like herding cats!

Hi, All!
    I use to breed and raise canaries - I even hand raised two so I could enjoy really tame canaries & it was a blast to enjoy them! Anyway, I banded all my canaries to be able to assure I could identify each individual for breeding & record keeping. Can this / is this done for chickens, too? Where can you buy these bands and are they put on the same way? Any info would be appreciated - THANKS!

Last edited: Jul 10, 2008
  2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I use Velcro, cut into strips that I wrap around a leg several times. On occasion they can get them off, and a small piece of medical tape around the band on the leg will keep it there if you have a chick who is picks at it till it comes off. Velcro is in the sewing/craft dept and comes in all sorts of sparkly, cool colors.

3. spatcher

spatcher Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Virginia - Southside
    Contact "Aussie Sharon". I think she has the knowledge you need and leg bands as well!

4. BowChickaBowMow

BowChickaBowMow Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2008
    Northern Michigan
    I used zip ties from the hardware store. They're the tiny mini size.

5. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

A search can give you several places that sell legbands. I don't know who's is cheapest but MM hatchery sells them also.

http://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/product/leg_bands.html

Since I don't need numbers for ID or breeding but sometimes do like to keep my eye on a certain group, or chicken, I use the different colored zip ties that you can find at hardware stores. They often come in large and small sizes.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2008
  6. AngelzFyre

AngelzFyre Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2007
    Pell City, Alabama
  7. Chick_a_dee

Chick_a_dee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Peterborough, ON
    Berry Hill Limited ships to the US, and they have reasonable rates... and sell all kinds of leg bands, every kind imaginable. They have a website, just google them.

8. ericbrbr

ericbrbr Out Of The Brooder

Jun 28, 2008
    Tennessee
    I also use colored zip ties, the small ones and they work great just put them fairly loose for growing room.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by