I need help....my saanen buck has an issue today???

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by arabianequine, Jan 25, 2012.

1. arabianequine

arabianequine Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2010
    When I went to leave today...I feed of course and noticed no buck....so I went to look for him. He was in the goat house. We had to force him out. His left side does not look big to me....his gums are nice and red. I did a fecal test last fall on the girls and they were all clear but he did not start staying with the girls till winter. I maybe should do one on him but would this make him not want to eat. He won't even eat grain and they have not had any in months?

I gave him a dose of pro bias just now when I got home and 1 gas pill but I am not sure that went down can't find it anywhere. He started foaming at the mouth after I gave him that pill cause I think he was chewing on it?

I think I have some theradrench and I am thinking of giving him some vit b complex in a shot form...what do you think could be the problem or what else should I do or not do?

He is just about 2.

Thank you!

2. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Ugh..i dont know...
    Hopefully some goat experts will chime in here..
    I think the gas pill was a good idea...

3. arabianequine

Apr 4, 2010
    Yeah I hope so too....I just took a couple pics of him. I had to drag him out again tonight and won't move and wants to just go hid'lay down.

I tried putting that gas pill in a handful of grain and he would not eat the grain so I used a cow pill pusher.

Right now he is standing tied to my back porch/deck.

4. redhen

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Aww, poor guy... :(
    Maybe some gas drops? The liquid might work quicker..??
    Do you have a wormer on hand?
    Has he been eating good recently??
    I dont know how to help... sorry.. :( :fl

5. arabianequine

Apr 4, 2010
    I don't have any wormer on hand....did not think I would need it in the winter when everything is frozen. :/

I am not so sure that worms would make him not want to eat and if they were that bad he probably would not have good gum and under eyelid color, is my thought.

I do feel and hear alot of gas when I push around on his belly...I put his front feet up on a step and got gas moving. I can hear and feel it in his throat when I was rubbing his left side around. I might go look for that thera drench I have. I don't think I threw it out.

6. Hot2Pot

Hot2Pot Fox Hollow Rabbitry

Feb 1, 2010
    West TN
    He might have bloat. Try giving him free choice baking powder, or ginger ale.

7. Skyesrocket

Skyesrocket Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2008
    I wouldn't worm since his eyelids are red. It does sound like gas and baking soda is a good idea as was the gas pills. If he doesn't nibble on the baking soda go ahead and mix it with water and drench him with it. You can give him some Pepto too.
    I like to use probios. You can give him those once he passes the gas.
    Do you have a new batch of hay? Could he have gotten into any chicken feed or anyone else's feed? I'm trying to figure out if anything has changed in his diet?
    It's always a good idea to keep baking soda out for them.
    Good Luck with him.

8. redhen

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Good! Folks are here to help!! :clap
    I hope he gets better,.. :fl :fl

9. arabianequine

Apr 4, 2010
    He is walking around moaning last I was out....I am mixing up the thera drench for him now. I hope this helps.

We did get new hay about 3 1/2 weeks ago....more alfalfa then grass. I am gonna put him in his own area now. He probably pigs more then he needs from the girls portions :/

There is a grassier bale every once in a while and I will try and find one and that is what he gets from now on lol.

No he did not get into any other feed.

10. arabianequine

Apr 4, 2010
    I already gave the probias tonight. I also was thinking of giving him some keopectate to sooth his stomach but not sure if I will since I am giving this drench to him now. I don't want to much on his tummy.

Thank you guys for the help!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by