1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

i need help NOW, can a BA roo and an EE roo kill a cochin banty hen???

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by lcw1995, Dec 28, 2010.

1. lcw1995

lcw1995 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 27, 2010
    Marysville Ohio
    i need to know cos i let my BA roo and my EE roo out of there pens for the first time in about a 3 months. theyve been by themselves for as long as they have been in there pens.
    the BA roo is 1 1/2 yrs old. hes huge. the EE roo is 1 yr old and hes big but not as big as the BA roo.
    i wanted to know if they will kill the cochin banty hens mating with them.????????????????????????

2. sheilawagner

sheilawagner Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2010
    Pacific NorthWest
    well, I'm not sure if they can kill her, but I'm sure she won't feel comfortable if they tread on her back and squash her into the ground..[​IMG]

3. lcw1995

Nov 27, 2010
    Marysville Ohio
    Quote:so its probably not a very good idea?

4. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    I have large roos mate (daily) with my OEGBs. The girls learn quick to squash out rather than squat.

They CAN hurt the girls, but some girls may not let them mate--perhaps it will be a non-issue?

5. lcw1995

Nov 27, 2010
    Marysville Ohio
    alright so if a big roo can mate with OEGB,, cochin bantys r bigger so i dont think itll be a problem.
    ok thanks.

6. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    Just keep an eye on them. I had a silkie in with an ameraucana and he tore her up. It took forever for her poor feathers to grow back in. She clearly was not happy in his pen. She and the other silkie quickly moved back to the banty pen.

7. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    My Standard Roosters mate m tiny bantam hens, I haven't ever had anybody die..the Bantam roosters also mate the standard hens soo....they're even!! [​IMG]

8. RainbowBirds_of_a_Feather

RainbowBirds_of_a_Feather Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2010
    Maui
    Aloha,

I have had that kind of pairing and breed Large roos to Miniature/Banty Hens. But it would be supervised or I would let the roo tread on my hands so not to flatten the hen. Having two boys trying to mount her is another situation. There could be damage seeing that she has twice the weight on her. I would just say supervise like other post above. :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by