1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I Need Help Now!! Update Pg 2

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by leadwolf1, Sep 22, 2011.

1. leadwolf1

leadwolf1 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    1) What type of bird , age and weight. NN pullet at point of lay...21 weeks....3 lbs?
    2) What is the behavior, exactly. Just not feeling well. Depressed and quiet. At first, her crop was empty and she was pooping green and white. Then, ate a bunch of yogurt/crumble mash and meal worms. Crop appears full now and she is pooping quiet normal and healthy. Still not acting right and feels feverish.
    3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? less than 24 hours
    4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms? no
    5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. no
    6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation. nothing
    7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. Drinks well and ate very well yesterday but not as interested today
    8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. see above description
    9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? acv in water, yogurt, poly vi sol, and meal worms for protein. Since she appears feverish, I started on Sulmet.
    10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? I would like to treat myself but would go looking for a vet if need be
    11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
    12) Describe the housing/bedding in use

Any help would be appreciated. She is VERY red in color. Yesterday, she appeared to have bruising type discoloration on her neck and crop. That has disappeared. She also has a more than normal for her yellowish appearance to her skin especially in the neck/crop area. Today, the crop feels full but feels more like glue than grain. Could be from the yogurt mash and mealworms? I have just started the sulmet. I gave her about 1/2 tsp orally and put the rest in her water.

I really need help. I can not even think about losing this chicken. She will get up and walk around the kitchen but she pants and then goes back to her box. Breathing sounds normal. No signs of sneezing/coughing/discharge/congestion.

Thanks for any/all help!

Last edited: Sep 23, 2011
  2. chkn

chkn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    That sounds like a lot of sulmet to give orally. I could be wrong but check the dosage. Was the crop emptied in the morning? You could put a thermometer under her wing to check her temperature. I would assume elevated temperature means some type of infection so an antibiotic may be in order. Is she old enough to lay? Is her vent pulsating? Has she been wormed with a good broad spectrum wormer (I used 1/2 ml Valbazen on my average sized birds)?

Last edited: Sep 22, 2011
  3. leadwolf1

May 1, 2011
    The sulmet was diluted to a regular dosage for a quart of water. I merely gave her the same amount that she would drink on her own. I have never had a problem doing this and it seems to get the dosing going in the right direction.

No, she has not been wormed. I read that they should not be wormed until they are 8 months old. I thought about worming them before cold weather but once I read that recommendation, I held off.

She has not started laying yet but her comb has definitely changed to a deep red color in the past couple weeks. I have not checked her vent, I will do so immediately. My daughter recommended checking for any egg bound problems...

She seems to be resting comfortably right now. What is the normal chicken temp? I will take her temp when I check her vent.

Thanks for the help....

4. leadwolf1

May 1, 2011
    Update...

Temp: 104.7

No signs of being egg bound. No hard lumps in abdomen.

Crop not emptying. Removed food and fed some yogurt plus olive oil. Massaged crop downward as directly in previous posts.

Should I stop the antibiotic????

No pulsating vent.

Still pooping normally.

Any more help would be appreciated.

5. chkn

Jun 27, 2010
    Sounds like you've been doing your homework and everything checks out okay so far. How is her abdomen (right below the vent) compare to the rest, about the same size? Comb is a nice bright red and not bluish? I think you should post some pictures of her, the comb, any yellowing or bruising, poop, anything you've got. I certainly don't think a worming would hurt. Is her tail down?

6. chkn

Jun 27, 2010
    I might be wrong about this but I think I've heard they can get a little 'nest boxy' when they're getting ready to lay. How's her weight (her breastbone isn't protruding more than the rest)? Usually, the bright red comb is an indication that everything is well.

7. chkn

Jun 27, 2010
    Check the crop in the a.m. again before she's had a chance to eat to verify the crop isn't empyting. If you don't feel it's emptying, then you have to go to soft maybe even liquid diet. I would stop the antibiotic and ACV for the moment.

8. chkn

Jun 27, 2010
    And no diarrhea, right?

9. leadwolf1

May 1, 2011
    No diarrhea. Her poops are absolutely normal today. I was thrilled to see that after her green ones last night. Her crop feels like she has something the consistency of playdoh in it. It isn't squishy like sour crop.....

I felt all over her abdomen and she felt perfectly normal there. Her breast bone does feel like it protrudes more than normal...maybe I should grab one of the other girls for comparison? I will do that is a little while.

Her comb is bright red and so are her wattles. No discoloration there. If anything, they might be more red than normal? I have been waiting for her to lay for a couple weeks. Her hatchmate layed her first egg yesterday and has been submitting to our rooster for a couple weeks. None of the other girls want anything to do with him yet.

She just plain isn't herself. I'm worried she is depressed from being removed from her family. She's never been away from them. I'm just worried that if I put her back up there that I will overlook something and lose her.

Thanks for sticking with me and trying to figure this out.

I will try and get some pics. I am pulling double duty right now as my husband is on a business trip. I homeschool two kids plus getting one of them ready to go to visit an uncle for a week in CA. I'm about to pull my hair out.

10. chkn

Jun 27, 2010
    Okay, I would just keep an eye on the crop. It could be a crop that is somewhat impacted. I don't know how long you've been giving antibiotics but sometimes that can slow down digestion. In this case I wouldn't tip her forward (you'd do that with a sour crop or liquidy crop) but do give olive oil and do the crop massage.

You can use a dropper for the olive oil and just drip it slowly on top of the beak because the liquids tend to roll down into the beak so all she has to do is swallow. Pause every couple drops and wait for the swallow. I don't like to force it when possible. If they happen to have a mouth open sometimes I'll squirt whatever I'm giving in the mouth and take advantage of it but the slow drip works too.

So, a little olive oil (maybe roughly a tablespoon a day or so), crop massage and put her on soft, easy to digest foods for a day or two and see if it clears up. Veggie broth, watermelon, etc., no grains, seeds, lay type mix. Maybe a little baby food. Use a dropper to get liquids going. Electrolytes, even a splash of gatorade in water (just a little gatorade because I worry about the sugar). Try to see if you can get the food ball to shrink.

No free ranging, you don't want her eating grass, etc.

Chickens don't care too much for changes. I'd just give her a lot of assurance.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by