I need help on a splay legged chick please

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Hennyhandler, Dec 16, 2012.

1. Hennyhandler

Hennyhandler SilkieJax

Jun 10, 2009
    Cullman
    I have worked through three cases of splayed leg. One I could not save and the other two I have. This one though was just born today and it is a standard where the others were silkies. It was left in the incubator to dry and when I got it out it was sitting on its butt with its two legs out in front like a teddy bear. I had one other silkie like this same position but after wearing a rubberband she was up and good to go. I put a rubberband on this one and it didn't seem to do anything so though to use a bandaid to stiffen up her legs. She still hasn't got it and it makes me feel bad because she looks pitiful.
    There was one time where she got up and stumbled along and then tripped over her feet. I know that this takes a day or so sometimes but I want to make sure to take care of this.

I have never had to deal with splayed leg before this batch and I don't understand why its this way now. They had been under a broody and she would roll them out accidently and I would put them back under her. I finally got tired of her doing that and I took them away. I candled and they were developed and moving so I thought they were good to go. I guess they were since they hatched but it makes me wonder if eggs getting chilled like this could cause issues such as splayed leg. The reason is when I candled the last time right before they hatched they had started to look different then they should have in the egg but I thought I will wait and see. What do yall think?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 16, 2012
  2. RhodeIslandRedFan

RhodeIslandRedFan Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2009
    Central PA
    Here is a site with information on chicken podiatry problems and solutions. You want to make sure the surface the chick is on is not a slippery one to cause its legs to slip out from under it, and that you leave the hobbles on a sufficient length of time. Perhaps vitamins will help. Hope this helps, and good luck. Your chick is really cute and I hope you can get her feet corrected :)

https://sites.google.com/a/poultrypedia.com/poultrypedia/poultry-podiatry

3. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Try to find info on a chick donut. To me it looks like your chick is sitting on it's hocks.

4. Hennyhandler

Hennyhandler SilkieJax

Jun 10, 2009
    Cullman
    Thank yall for the help. That was a great website by the way. I understand how a doughnut works now but I don't see how that stops the chick from pushing the cloth out and going back into position. Maybe I am just overthinking this. LOL. [​IMG] I don't know. I feel at a loss on this one and I think maybe if I give her a little time, I mean it is only the first day, but I want to get this taken care of as quick as possible. Thanks. I am going to see what I can do.

5. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    You could also back a sling.

6. Hennyhandler

Hennyhandler SilkieJax

Jun 10, 2009
    Cullman
    Back a sling? Like form a sling to put her in or add one to the doughnut?

7. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
  8. RhodeIslandRedFan

Dec 10, 2009
    Central PA
    How is your chick doing today?

9. Hennyhandler

Hennyhandler SilkieJax

Jun 10, 2009
    Cullman
    Thanks for asking. He is doing great. Walking around with hobbles on. His name is Houdini. I have put hobbles on everyone else and they have never escaped but this is his third time managing to escape out of them. He's sweet but I swear when I am putting them on he watches so he knows how to get them back off. LOL!

10. RhodeIslandRedFan

Dec 10, 2009
    Central PA
    LOL! Glad to hear he's doing well. He's such a cutie :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by