I need help, one of my girls died and idk why

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by big red 74, Oct 8, 2013.

1. big red 74

big red 74 New Egg

Oct 7, 2013
    Florida
    The other day I noticed one of my hens poo was watery. Then I noticed she was falling over and stumbling. Her pouch was full, she was eating and drinking. I separated her over night and the next day. That next evening she seemed fine. I placed her back with the rest and noticed she fell from her perch. I separated her again and placed her in a warm kennel,where she couldn't get hurt. Then I noticed her poo was pure water. I was going to take her to the vet in the am, but when I awoke she had all ready passed. I am afraid I honestly do not know what happened to her. Someone please help. I don't want this to happen to the rest of my girls. I live in Florida and they rarely leave their coop. Her neck seemed fine, no worms in poo, or changing in color of crest. I am clueless.

2. LMiller

LMiller Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2013
    Wisconsin
    Tough to say. Could be a lot if things. All you can really do is send her for a necropsy. Trying to pin down chicken diseases based on symptoms like this will drive a person crazy. What I would do is pick up and observe the others. Are they boney or light? Do they look fluffed up or sleepy? How is the rest of their poop? If it was me I might treat for coccidiosis if I noticed any others with watery poop, especially if they are skinny and lethargic/sleepy looking. Sorry your hen died :(

3. big red 74

big red 74 New Egg

Oct 7, 2013
    Florida
    Thank you for your advice. I've been watching more closely and I think my rooster may have been to blame. He not only hogs all of the food, but he also beats up on all of the hens but one. I'm new to this and my bf has done this for years. He says the rooster is normal, while I feel he is very abusive. Is it possible that my rooster caused this? The other hens are very light, but his girlfriend is quite heavy.

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    She may have had coccidosis which is contagious, or sour or impacted crop. She could have had a worm infestation because you can't see most worms in the droppings. Valbazen or Safegard goat wormer are two excellent wormers. Don't use Safegard during a molt however. Botulism is also another disease that can cause neurological symptoms from eating decayed animal carcasses, maggots, or decayed vegetation, but since she didn't leave the coop much, probably not. Mareks disease also causes neurological symptoms. If anyone else shows symptoms of coccidiosis--weakness, sitting puffed up, poor appetite, and diarrhea (sometimes bloody,) I would treat with Corid liquid 2 tsp per gallon of water for 5-7 days.

5. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
  6. big red 74

big red 74 New Egg

Oct 7, 2013
    Florida
    I can't ship her off for necropsy because we buried her. I have been keeping an eye in the others and I'm not seeing any symptoms. That's a good sign. But I will continue observing and keep my fingers crossed. Thank you

7. LMiller

LMiller Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2013
    Wisconsin
    If the rooster is making them crazy and not letting them eat get rid of him. Not all roosters are jerks to the ladies, many are gentlemen that always let the girls eat first and treat them well. You mention several of the others feel thin. Sometimes wasting is the only indication of a much bigger problem. Sometimes they are eating but can't gain weight due to cocci or Mareks. I'd watch them very closely.

8. big red 74

big red 74 New Egg

Oct 7, 2013
    Florida
    I'm looking into rehoming my rooster. I have 2 more that are about 7 months now. I'm going to give them a shot at being the "man of the house". I am keeping my eye on them, and so far every thing seems good. Thank you

9. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Too many roosters (especially young ones) in a flock are bad news for hens because they can keep them from food. The ratio should be 1:10 minimum and 1:15 is even better unless you are breeding constantly. Just sit in your yard and watch their behavior and you can see if they need to come out.

10. big red 74

big red 74 New Egg

Oct 7, 2013
    Florida
    I have 1 rooster and 3hens in this group since my 4th hen died. The others are younger and get picked on when they are together. But I've noticed one of my other hens has started with the watery poo. I put some antibiotics in their water along with vitaminb. I am hoping this will take care of the problem. I'm still crossing my fingers

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by