I need help or I'm gonna eat the new girls!!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by urbanfarmers, Jul 17, 2010.

1. urbanfarmers

urbanfarmers In the Brooder

Jun 23, 2010
    Bellevue, Nebraska
    Hope this isn't too long...long story short....
    We had our 2 Rhode Island hens, the RIR rooster and 8 baby Wy's. I was happy with that but my hubby wanted more chickens so he bought 14 more. [​IMG] Any how, the last couple of days I have noticed that the new girls are beating the crap out of my baby Wy's!!! I mean knockin them around real good! They are grabbin them by the tail, wings and neck and swinging them around...the whole time the babies are screaming! They also jump on them, keep them corned and then they gang up on one...it's absolutely horrible! [​IMG] Yesterday I had to feed the babies their treats in the coop just so they could eat and not get knocked around! Our reds NEVER treated the Wy's like this and haven't since. I have noticed that my Wy's will sometimes run to the reds for protection...the new girls are scared of our reds.

I spoke to my neighbor and he told me about the peeprs I could get to help with 'the bad kids' but I don't think my Wy's can wait for the peepers to get here. [​IMG] Does anyone know what I should do? We have PLENTY of food and space....food & water in both the run and the coops and our run is huge...so I doubt it's a space thing. It just seems like my new girls have decided to be bullies and aren't stopping for anything! Now I know chickens establish a pecking order but this type of 'establishing' is getting waaaaay out of hand...in my opinion! If I can't get an answer soon I'm going to eat all of the new girls....and that's NOT a joke! [​IMG]

2. danischi24

danischi24 Loves naked pets

Aug 17, 2008
    Australia
    Chicks (without mothers) & adults should always be kept separate or deaths may occur. Separate until your chicks are grown & then reintroduce.

3. crazy chook

crazy chook Songster

Apr 8, 2010
    Langwarrin, Victoria
    What breed are the new girls? Nasty!

I would separate them from your others, I love wys. [​IMG]

4. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    Keep them separate. They may need a lot of time before you can house them together. You should do this in case the new ones have disease no matter what.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2010
  5. urbanfarmers

Jun 23, 2010
    Bellevue, Nebraska
    The new girls are mixed, half red and half I'm not sure. My neighbor told me once but I can't remember. They are a light red with a little white in them and have a white collar. The thing is they aren't exactly 'new', I just call them the 'new girls' because I can't remember what breed they are...and I don't plan to sell chickens or hatching eggs so I'm that concerned. [​IMG]
    Also, the new girls aren't adults, they are teens. As for separating them, I'm not sure how to do that. We built a coop and run for our original flock and then a coop and run for our new girls and then joined the two areas at a later date. Now I don't have any more room in my yard for another coop and run. [​IMG]
    On a side note, some of my neighbors aren't exactly 'happy' that we have chickens but they aren't against the rules so they just kind of 'deal with it.' We also have 2 little ones and if we build another 'chicken area' it's going to take away their play area and I really don't want to do that. So if I have to separate the new girls from our original flock should I just send them to freezer camp instead?? [​IMG]
    Oh sweet hanah this has become a nightmare!!! [​IMG]

6. Pequena Bandada

Pequena Bandada Small Flock

Jun 13, 2010
    Could you put a dog crate or something similar in the run for your little ones to hide in? Or put a temporary fence across half the run so you let everyone see each other but not touch the babies? I'm in agreement with the previous poster... it's a fact of life that some chickens will REALLY pick on little chicks... and that's why they shouldn't be integrated until they're about the same size.

Good luck!

7. urbanfarmers

Jun 23, 2010
    Bellevue, Nebraska
    Thank you so much for your input. My husband and I talked about it and we are going to try to figure something out to make sure the little Wy's are protected...they are Patridge Wy's so they will always be much smaller than the other chickens. I love my Wy's too and want nothing bad to happen to them. I told my husband today that the new girls need to go to freezer camp ASAP or get rid of them all together. He wants to keep a couple of the new girls for egg laying but has agreed to get rid of the rest in a few weeks. In the meantime we will try to figure out how to keep them safe...if I have to build a small coop/run myself I will do it!!! I am woman, hear me roar!! [​IMG] Thanks again for the help!

8. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    It is okay to send them to freezer camp, or re-sell most of the new girls. I think that you will end up with more birds than you have space for.

9. LeezyBeezy

LeezyBeezy Songster

Mar 13, 2010
    Lancaster PA
    Do you have any wire fencing that you can use to string through the middle of the coor and run? That way the teens can stay away from the little girls. We have a mini=coop inside our big coop, about a yard square. It has a top on it, and the sides are wired. We cut a little door in the side so the four 11-week old EEs can get away from the NHR and SS. Both big girls will peck and chase. Our coop is big, so with only 2 older hens, they can't ever catch them. That being said, I think retribution will be handed out one day... 4 against 2! Good luck, and keep us posted.

10. diane T

diane T In the Brooder

Jul 16, 2010
    When I introduced new pullets to my hens, I placed them in a large wire dog crate, inside the coop for about a month. Everyone got used to each other before they could interact. Also, I've heard that you should not introduce pullets to the flock unless they are at least 2/3 the size of the hens in the flock. Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by