1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I need help picking an incubator!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Maciks, Mar 30, 2015.

1. Maciks

Maciks Out Of The Brooder

Mar 29, 2015
    Dear all,
    My brother and I have not incubated any eggs before and we were looking through all the different incubators. We have 18 guineas less than half of which are female and four peahens. I would like one that could fit both types of eggs and has the right humidity and temperature settings. We would be willing to spend up to $150 on one and it needs to be fairly easy to use. We already have a nest of ten eggs from our guineas and need to buy one soon. Your wisdom and experience is needed.
    Thank you, The Macik Boys[​IMG]

2. nab58

nab58 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2013
    CT
    Brinsea is a good brand. I have the Mini Advance and really like it. It's very easy to use. It only hold 7 egg though. Sounds like you'd want a bigger model.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2015
  3. Maciks

Mar 29, 2015
    Ya I was looking at some that had 48 egg capacity and I just am completely unfamiliar. Do you know of anybody that has bigger ones and would recommend them. If not is there a cheaper model that we could buy several of? @nab58

4. Maciks

Mar 29, 2015
    also is it necessary for me to have an automatic egg turner or should I get the manual. I go to school during the day...

5. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Brinsea seems to be an excellent brand, its more of a set and forget it type incubator. From the reviews on it, they're worth every penny. That being said, I don't have one (though I wish I did....someday).

I have 2 Little Giant incubators. They are not a set and forget it deal, but they do their job. And, they're much cheaper than the Brinsea. Between my 2, they've cost me around $80 and a couple dozen eggs. I started with a second hand 9200 (which I traded a couple dozen eggs for) and I just recently bought a 9300 and an egg turner.
    If you go without the turner, they can hold about 50 standard sized eggs, and you can jam more bantam eggs in than that. If you get the turner, it holds 41 (42 if you put an egg in the cup next to the motor). And if you ask me, the auto turner is the bees knees. I work 40+ hours a week, and it saves me from having to hand turn. In the one that has the turner, at least. Normally I use the one with the turner for the first 18 days then move the eggs to the other for lock down. But sometimes I get a little crazy and fill them both up with a bunch of eggs (like now, they're both full). I'm considering buying a second turner so I have one for each 'bator :)

6. Maciks

Mar 29, 2015
    Thank you both for responding. I am totally new to this so any other advice is welcomed.
    The Maciks

7. Bradfordj

Bradfordj Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2015
    Saskatchewan, Canada
    From what I have read, Brinsea is the way to go. That being said your cost per egg in the bator is very high! They seem to be a set and forget operation. Hova-bator and Little Giant seem to be the next two on the list. I'm using a forced air Hova-bator with egg turner its older and borrowed, but not a bad little unit. I find it a little tricky to keep humidity low, but holds it very well! I have read a lot of comments about the LG being temperamental to keep temperature consistent and or having hot spots. Personally I prefer a forced air, I have found them easier keeping temperatures steady. Styrofoam bators with turners like LG and Hova-bator are very inexpensive for their potential. I find the wafer style thermostats wear out and get finicky, so my next one will be digital controls. That being said never trust the temperatures or settings on the bator itself. Always have a goo calibrated thermometer and hydrometer you trust on hand! It isn't 100% necessary to have a turner, but being in school all day its peace of mind knowing its taken care of. Hope this helps, Good luck!

Last edited: Mar 31, 2015
  8. Maciks

Mar 29, 2015
    thanks so much. I have come across a problem while getting a solution. My friend let me borrow one the Little Big 9300 but I have no idea how to operate the water channels. It has two side ones that are located near the middle and then a big one located in the middle with a foam island in the middle of it. I have read guinea eggs should be around 45% humidity and then on the 25th day switch the turner off and increase humidity to 60%. Is that accurate? How do I use the water channels? Any other advise?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by