I need help picking out a breed.

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by roocrazy, Dec 3, 2010.

1. roocrazy

roocrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2009
    minnesota!!!!
    i need something that developes and matures fast
    lays a decent amount of eggs
    can go broody
    is medium to a light breed
    is easy to get to standard
    no keel
    easy to show for a biginer shower

2. roocrazy

Jun 11, 2009
    minnesota!!!!
    i may be getting some runners How are they. I know they dont go broody

3. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    Runners don't really go broody, and when they do, they rarely hatch babies successfully. I have had several Runner hens go broody, but not even one egg has hatched from their efforts, except a few that I rescued and brought into my incubator after the mother abandoned them. More often the mother goes crazy toward the end and destroys the eggs, or abandons them and I don't realize it until it's too late.

I have heard that Welsh Harlequins are both good mothers & good layers, though I have no personal experience.

I don't know what breeds are easy to get to standard (although, reportedly, magpies are very difficult, so rule that out), but if you are planning to show start with good stock. You absolutely cannot go wrong if you order from Holderread Waterfowl.

Good luck. Ducks are awesome. [​IMG]

4. pekinduck<3er

pekinduck<3er Chillin' With My Peeps

If you are gonna get a good type of breed get the Cayuga breed there great and dont abandon their eggs mine hasnt they grow fast in 4 weeks and are a greaT PET AND EGG PRODUCER AND.... go broody!! [​IMG]

5. jack & mommy's duckies

jack & mommy's duckies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2010
    My vote is for the Cayuga also. Pretty, good layers, great in the broody part.....and bond well and easy to show.

6. roocrazy

Jun 11, 2009
    minnesota!!!!
    I Like Caygas, Acually So Far There At The Top Of My List!!

7. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    My fav is Welsh Harlequins, GREAT layers. Not bad in the mom department either.

Runners don't really go broody, and when they do, they rarely hatch babies successfully.

While this is true, I did have a crazy runner successfully hatch out 14 ducklings!!! She was WICKED protective and an excellent mom. INSANE, but she did a great job [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 3, 2010
  8. KansasKid

KansasKid Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2010
    South East Kansas
    Well the best broody hens that i have had are my mallards, 1 tried to raise 3 broods this year but i took the second and third clutch away and another hen hatched a brood as well both were fairly large clutches and only had 3 out of each that didn't hatch. As a first year shower they are really, really easy to meet standards because they weren't bred down like the khaki's and WH's etc. really about the only thing that you have to look for in mallards is to make sure that the ring around the drakes neck goes all the way around. otherwise your almost guaranteed a blue.

Are you gonna pen show or do showmanship?

9. roocrazy

Jun 11, 2009
    minnesota!!!!
    both

10. KansasKid

KansasKid Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2010
    South East Kansas
    If you pen show your placing will be based just on the bird itself. If you just do showmanship then the bird doesn't have to meet the standards as long as you give correct description of a standard bird and the flaw on yours.

Are you showing through 4-h at a county fair?

If you can find a APA book (american poultry association standard of perfection) and memorize the description for your breed of duck the judge will be thrilled.
    Especially if you can take memorize it word for word and get on other websites to give its origin and other facts. I did all this last year and year before etc. I have grand champion purples for those years and both drakes had white on them and would be considered a disqualification otherwise. where i was going with the 4-h thing is that your county office should have the book which you could photo copy the page out of. I don't necessarily know if you can get away with it not matching up with standards in state fairs or other shows though. but you should be fine in county.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by