I need help please . Thanks

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Hayamz, Dec 21, 2016.

1. Hayamz

Hayamz Out Of The Brooder

Oct 11, 2016
    [​IMG]

Hi !
    I have a 7 months hen , she started to lay eggs 2 months ago , sometimes she lays the whole week and takes Friday as a break [​IMG] and when the winter hit she's on and off laying , she can lay today and then takes a break for 3 or 4 days ,I know it's normal in winter specially when the mornings are so cold , dark and depressing , some friends on BYC have helped to improve her health ,I didn't know what to feed her exactly but so many on here helped and she's doing really well and the eggs are perfect .
    Anyways , yesterday at 12.00 pm she laid an egg after 2 days off , she was fine until 3.00 pm she looked really pale ,sick and weak , she wasn't eating , drinking , moving even when I go to play with her she's just standing there and not moving or playing with me as usual , "all these symptoms happened before and then after a while she laid an egg without a shell but it was long before how to feed her well and take care of her " , at 4.00 pm I found her standing in the corner trying to push an egg [​IMG] I couldn't believe it since she has already laid her egg 4 hours ago , after so many minutes of trying she laid an egg without a shell , only covered with a thin layer , once she pecked it it was opened and yolk and white got out , it was like a small balloon filled with water , even the egg's shape was strange , it was an oval one but pointy , sorry there's no pic of it [​IMG] after she laid that egg my hen went back to normal she was fine she ate , she drank , she played and she was okay , I still don't know what happened and why /? she didn't lay an egg today . I'm really worried about her , can someone tell me what has happened /??
    and that a pic of my baby sitting on my leg :D

Last edited: Dec 21, 2016
  2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe True BYC Addict

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    What were you feeding before and what are you feeding now?

A hen laying eggs should get 'layer chicken feed'. They use a lot of calcium to build an egg shell. Layer is 4% calcium. Other feeds are 1%.
    Scratch grains are less.

Ventilation is extremely important. People tend to want to close up housing this time of year but don't do it.
    As important as fresh food and water are, fresh air is more impotant.

3. Hayamz

Hayamz Out Of The Brooder

Oct 11, 2016
    I only was giving her grounded corn and some vegetables , but since I gave her calcium such as oyster shells and eggs shells she has been so healthy and laying perfect eggs , I read an article here with all the food full of calcium that I should give to my hen and I have been doing that since then , I never cover her only when it's raining I cover a part of the coop so she won't get wet , but she's always exposed to the air along with fresh water and food , she's healthy and she eats really well everyday all day , but I really don't know why laying 2 eggs with 4 hours difference :(

4. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe True BYC Addict

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Are you in the US or some other country where chicken feed is available. Corn and vegetables are woefully deficient in essential amino acids and some vitamins/minerals.

Chicken feed has all the nutrients chickens are known to need based on 100+ years of research.
    Corn and vegetables are 10% crude protein or less. A laying bird needs at least 16% protein. Worse, chickens are omnivores so need amino acids not found in vegetative sources, like lysine, methionine and tryptophan.

http://extension.missouri.edu/p/G8352

Last edited: Dec 21, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by