I Need Help Please!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by mattdog1995, Jul 4, 2010.

1. mattdog1995

mattdog1995 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 1, 2010
    Elizabeth City, NC
    This morning while checking on my incubator i heard something peeping! I could see a little chick in there! The thing is though he is three days early and i dont see any sign of the others hatching yet. Is it okay to keep him in the incubator? Should i put him the brooder alone? Also he has a red bump thing on his butt, almost like were he was attached to the eggshell. Is this a bad thing? HELP PLEASE!![​IMG]

2. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    You can leave him in there for now. If none of the other eggs start hatching early (chances are good that they will) I'd quickly pull him out tomorrow. The bump you're seeing is probably where the yolk sac was and should absorb fully by tomorrow. Sometimes if it's really big they can tear it and that is a problem, but it sounds like yours isn't that big so it should be fine. I've had a few hatches start at/before lockdown and it's usually because the temp. was a degree or so too high. None of my chicks had any problems so try not to worry too much about it. Happy hatching! [​IMG]

3. mattdog1995

Jul 1, 2010
    Elizabeth City, NC
    Thanks, its also peeping alot. What could that mean?

4. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    It's peeping a lot because it just came into the big bad world and is probably thinking, "What the heck...?".
    They'll peep a lot and then they'll sleep a lot.

5. mattdog1995

Jul 1, 2010
    Elizabeth City, NC
    Thanks, I hope the other 30 hatch soon![​IMG]:jumpy:thumbsup

6. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    And sometimes when they sleep they sprawl out all weird and look dead so be prepared for that too. It's pretty funny once you get over the mini-heart attack that you have when you first see one layed out on the incubator floor.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by