I need help please

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Heatherberry, Feb 18, 2013.

1. Heatherberry

Heatherberry Out Of The Brooder

Apr 21, 2010
    I have, or should I say had, three hens. They will be three years old in May. I live in Florida and last night dipped pretty cold. I think it was 24 degrees.

I woke up this morning looked out my window like always to check my girls. One was laying in the coop not moving. I waited a couple minutes no movement. I hated what I was going to find. Sure enough she was dead. Looks like she came out of the roost at night because my husband said he saw her go up last night.

She was stiff. Died in a crouching position not on her side. Her head was stretched out in front of her under the food bin. I picked her up and her eyes were closed but there was discharge from her nose and I couldn't tell if it was from her mouth too. There was dirt on her beak.

I don't think she was sick. She had laid eggs this week. She was eating. She was acting normal. I am at a loss.

However, I went out to look at my other two girls and one of them sounds like she has a stuffy nose. So, now I am wondering if Rita, the one who died, might have had something and I just didn't know. I check on my girls frequently so I am flabbergasted that she could have gotten sick and died that fast.

Any ideas about what it could be? Can I treat a cold it that is what it is?

Thanks[​IMG]

2. I'm so sorry. I don't guess you could try to resuscitate her. I heard someone that did.

3. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Sorry for your loss... Fluid often comes out of their mouth and nose when they die, so that's normal. Can you send her off for a necropsy? If so, put her in the refrigerator, not the freezer.

4. Heatherberry

Apr 21, 2010
    No way. She was gone. Stiff as a board. Not life at all.

5. That's what that person's chicken was like. Actually, it was 2 chicks, but...

6. Heatherberry

Apr 21, 2010
    I already put her in the freezer. That makes sense about the discharge from the crop. I figured that but now worried about the other girl.

7. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    They can still do a necropsy, but it might not be as thorough due to the tissue damage.

8. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    I have done mouth to mouth on a rooster and kept him alive, but when they are that sick, and the dying process has started, there's no hope.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by