i need help QUICK

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Peytons Poultry, Mar 3, 2015.

1. Peytons Poultry

Peytons Poultry Out Of The Brooder

May 16, 2013
    This morning one of my hens just flopped out of the coop, and seemed to have no control of her legs. i have her inside and she is just sitting, twitching and has her mouth open??? is this a seizure? I need to go to school soon and no ones going to be able to help her so help please! What do i do?

2. Sonya9

Sonya9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2014
    Jones County, Georgia
    If you don't see any obvious injuries I would put her in a safe crate/box and make sure she stays warm. Leave her in a quiet area of your home with food/water. Hopefully when you return she will still be among the living and you can look into ways to treat.

1 person likes this.
  3. Peytons Poultry

May 16, 2013
    Thanks, i'll do that

4. Peytons Poultry

May 16, 2013
    So she's still not feeling any better. She cannot walk, won't eat or drink, has her mouth open all the time, one eye closed and her stool is white and potent. Anyone know what i can do for her? She was fine yesterday.

5. Peytons Poultry

May 16, 2013
    Getting worse....tremors when I try to touch her, still can't use legs. Not eating/drinking. I figure she has mites so I've been dusting the birds with DE. Mites are probably what caused the tremors. Can chickens get illnesses from mites? Help

6. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Was she vaccinated for Mareks disease? In what part of the country (or world) do you live? She sounds like she is having aome neurological issues, and Mareks, among other problems could be possible. Some viruses, lead poisoning, botulism, and other illnesses could be a problem. How old is she? Try to get her to drink some water with vitamins and electrolytes in it. SaveAChick is one of many brands, and homemade electrolytes are also good. Buttermilk added to chicken feed, or to bread crumbs with a little raw egg mixed in with usually get chickens to eat. Here is a good thread about Mareks disease: https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/the-great-big-giant-mareks-disease-faq

1 person likes this.
  7. Peytons Poultry

May 16, 2013
    She has not been vaccinated, and is about one year six months. Thanks for the link

8. Amy Morris

Amy Morris New Egg

Mar 4, 2015
    [​IMG][​IMG]What is this dark scab like area on my hen she doesn't seem sick. [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 4, 2015
  9. Peytons Poultry

May 16, 2013
    It looks like a scab from a wound, an old one

10. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    It may be a breast blister that has developed a scab. Those can affect birds who lie down a lot on the floor of the coop at night. I would try to get her to go on a roost, or find out what she is not roosting. Make sure the bedding is clean and dry. Chickens who are suffering from MS or mycoplasma synoviae frequently have breast blisters do to pain in the legs.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by