I need help right now!!!! chicks life at stake

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by WhiteCochinLover, Mar 1, 2012.

1. WhiteCochinLover

WhiteCochinLover Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2011
    Maryland
    I candled the eggs and it looks like there are chicks to me and they are fully developed and should hatch any day but one already hatched two days ago and now the mom is off the eggs and with the other chick. what should I do? crack the egg and try to save the babies

2. FuzzyButtsFarm

FuzzyButtsFarm Rest in Peace 1950-2013

No.. If you break open the shell before it's ready you will kill the chick. If you have an incubator, put them in and let them finish hatching on their own. I did that with one of my broodies that left one egg after the other had hatched. I put it in the bator and let it finish and that night I slipped it under her. She raised them both no problem.

3. WhiteCochinLover

WhiteCochinLover Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2011
    Maryland
    But i dont have a bator.... :(

4. stoopid

stoopid Chicken Fairy Godmother

Aug 3, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    The temp in a bra is pretty close to perfect.....

5. Baggagolers

Baggagolers Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2012
    Maybe you can put it in a box with a light bulb and a thermometer. See if you can keep it warm enough. Hopefully someone else has a little more help to offer. Good luck.

6. ChickenJerk

ChickenJerk Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2012
    Take the chick away from her, put nesting material and eggs a small cardboard box 10" x 10" or so put her in there and close the box. All in the dark. Take care of the chick otherwise until she hatches the rest of the chicks and then re integrate the early hatch under her during a dark period. Like nightime.

7. FuzzyButtsFarm

FuzzyButtsFarm Rest in Peace 1950-2013

This would work too. But I would add a bowl of water with a sponge in it to increase the humidity in the container.

8. StevieNay

StevieNay Out Of The Brooder

Feb 17, 2012
    Sometimes local feed stores have incubators they rent space in. Or you can try posting on a thread where there are local BYCers. I'm guessing someone near you has an incubator they'd let you put your two eggs in for a day or two.

9. Suzie

Suzie Overrun With Chickens

Jul 9, 2009
    Auvergne
    I put one in my oven! 99 degrees and it hatched!!!! I called it Samsung ... after the name on the oven! True - honestly!!! It does work!!!!

Suzie

10. stoopid

stoopid Chicken Fairy Godmother

Aug 3, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by