1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I need help sexing my new chickens

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by naughty14, Feb 14, 2014.

1. naughty14

naughty14 New Egg

Feb 14, 2014
    I recently bought some new hens (or so I thought) and am now sure that they are not hens (at least not all of them). Can anyone help me in determining which ones are hens and which ones are roosters?
    1) Buff cochin, 20 weeks old. I hatched this one from my own hens and i thought it was a hen but now given the look of the tail feathers which look like my rooster it might be a cockeral
    [​IMG]

2) Plymouth rock, approx 15 weeks old (might be more). I was told this was a hen. Given the size of its legs and long neck I'm thinking its not a hen but a rooster?
    [​IMG][​IMG]

3) Plymouth rock chick, approx 5 weeks old (guess). No idea on the sex of this one
    [​IMG][​IMG]

4) Lavender astralorp, approx 15 weeks old (guess). Think hen but has long legs different to my black astralorps
    [​IMG]

5) white sussex, approx 10 weeks. They do have differing looks on the tail and head so I'm thinking one of each. Is the one with the black on its tail the roo?
    [​IMG][​IMG]

I already have a buff cochin rooster and he is very kind, gentle nd hardly makes a noise. I dont want to keep any other roosters so please help me out here so i can sell the others and just keep my rooster and hen flock! Any help would be greatly appreciated!

2. gamebirdsonly

gamebirdsonly Overrun With Chickens

Mar 5, 2007
    UTAH
    1= hen
    2= Roo
    3= Roo
    4=Roo
    5= Hen, Roo

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

I think the buff cochin is a hen, but I don't think it's pure cochin as the shape is wrong, especially that tail--too pointed. Cochins are rounded and fluffy, like balls.
    Your Rocks are beautiful birds! Where did you get them--they're way better than hatchery quality in the US. Beautiful barring. Unfortunately, they're both male.
    The lavender bird looks female, but again not sure it's an Aussie, the shape looks too long and lean.
    The light Sussex look like female and male.

4. 1.) Hen
    2.) Rooster
    3.) Rooster
    4.) Rooster
    5.) Hen, then rooster

You cannot judge whether a chick is a hen or a rooster by its neck or legs. It is an unreliable method. If you purchase your birds from two different strains, one strain might have longer legs and necks than the other. You want to look at the size of the comb and the color. I deep red(as shown in #2) is a rooster, while a pale pink is a hen(#1). This is how I judged my birds for many years with great success. You can also look at hackle feathers(narrow, long feathers found on the neck, tail, and in front. It seems to be a little to early to see the hackle feathers on your roosters because they look too young, but you will see later on when they mature. Roosters also will have larger wattle with the red color we were talking about.

Hope that helps with your future endeavors! :)

5. naughty14

naughty14 New Egg

Feb 14, 2014
    Thanks everyone for the help and advice on how to tell sex in the future. Looks like I've landed myself a heap of roosters (dammit) but glad to have it confirmed. The Plymouth rocks just came from a backyard breeder in south australia. They are nice looking birds. Thanks again!

6. blucoondawg

blucoondawg Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2013
    Northern Wisconsin
    How are any of you able to tell if the barred roc chick in pic 3 is a rooster? That chick seems a little young to me for anyone to be able to tell unless you are going by the feather color not being overly dark as hens generally are darker than roosters.

7. sunshinechicken

sunshinechicken Out Of The Brooder

Jan 27, 2014
    i need help with my 2 day old chicks

8. sunshinechicken

sunshinechicken Out Of The Brooder

Jan 27, 2014
    show me pictures of their wings and then i will tell you exactly what they are thnx for asking

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by